Top 3 in the State of Texas

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

maxfield
Pilgrim

Top 3 in the State of Texas

Postby maxfield » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:21 pm

Hello All!

I am planning a bit of a sabbatical to the great state of Texas with one singular objective: to eat the best BBQ on the planet. I will be in the state for 15 days so my question is simple. Where would you suggest I go? I am looking for your top 3 at the very least, but feel free to include as many suggestions as you feel comfortable with giving! A huge thank you in advance for your help. I am looking forward to my research.

- maxfield
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: Top 3 in the State of Texas

Postby Boots » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:19 pm

Pecan Lodge in Dallas and Franklin's in Austin probably figure into a lot of people's list, along with John Mueller's and La Barbecue in Austin, Mueller's in Taylor, and Smitty's, City Market, Kreuz's, Black's, in the Lockhart, Taylor, Luling area. There's also a place in Lexington whose name escapes me, and the New Zion Baptist Church down near Huntsville I think that draws wide acclaim. Hope this helps as a starting point.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:05 pm

Country Tavern for Ribs in Kilgore Texas. past Presidents and Robert Duval's pictures on the wall; need I say more.
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Boots covered probably the best. Not sure in which area you'll be, but if you're up north of Dallas in our area, I'm really liking what Hutchins is doing with their brisket and ribs. Pecan Lodge has some great beef ribs (everything was really good, but this to me was something that not everyone has, and it was great). Black's was my favorite place in Lockhart for beef ribs (maybe one of my favorites ever) and brisket. Aaron Franklin's place is a religious experience where brisket is concerned, and their ribs are really great as well. City Market in Luling was one of our favorite 'old school' places. All the food was great, but their brisket and sausage were realllly good. Ribs pretty tasty, too. The walls are yellowed from years of pit seasoning inside, discoloring even the wood paneling...lol.

I dunno, there a a ton of places in Texas that are world-renowned for their barbecue. These were some of my favorites. Bon appetit! Take some pics and share :-)
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:50 pm

Boots wrote:Pecan Lodge in Dallas and Franklin's in Austin probably figure into a lot of people's list, along with John Mueller's and La Barbecue in Austin, Mueller's in Taylor, and Smitty's, City Market, Kreuz's, Black's, in the Lockhart, Taylor, Luling area. There's also a place in Lexington whose name escapes me, and the New Zion Baptist Church down near Huntsville I think that draws wide acclaim. Hope this helps as a starting point.

That would be Snows in Lexington, I would just do the BBQ trail around the Austin area. Have fun.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:59 pm

A few thoughts:
15 Days is certainly plenty of time to hit whichever gets chosen as the Top 3. Edit, just saw "at least".

Sadly the prettiest landscape in our State does not match up with the best "Q". Geographical coordination will be important!

Almost feel as if we would be dragging him to Dallas for one place & as much I like Pecan Lodge, Justin & his staff, I'm not sure that makes sense??

Any BBQ Events during his visitation time frame that he needs to sign up for now may allow him to see a bunch of Texas BBQ Culture in one spot.
TXRibWagon
Pilgrim

Postby TXRibWagon » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:18 am

Texas Monthly http://tmbbq.com/ has a listing of the top 50 joints in the state, along with a writeup on each.
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:16 am

+1 for boots list. I've been to most of those and you can't really go wrong. I would add Schoepf's in Belton, TX if you're in between Waco and Austin. I thought they had outstanding ribs.
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:32 pm

I like how this dude has broken it down.

http://brisketman.com/essential-barbecu ... ral-texas/

I would also check out & map all the 6 Stars on Full Custom Gospel BBQ, & I would pay little attention to Texas Monthly. Way too many sacred cows on its 50.
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:16 pm

Maxfield,
May I ask where you are inbound from?
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:03 pm

There is a New kid on the Block lookin to take Mr, Franklin & Mr Lewis to the wood shed for a good ol fashion Texas Butt spankin with a hickory switch. I have not been there as of yet but three folks who's judgment I trust have and put Killen's BBQ in Pearland at the top of the heap as quite possibly the best BBQ in the USA. I'd say it's worth the trip.

http://tmbbq.com/killens-barbecue/
http://tmbbq.com/interview-ronnie-kille ... -barbecue/
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:29 pm

The aforementioned Brisketman link speaks highly of Killens as well.
maxfield
Pilgrim

Postby maxfield » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:40 pm

Damon54 wrote:Maxfield,
May I ask where you are inbound from?

but of course, Los Angeles
tpitbullx
Pilgrim

Postby tpitbullx » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:01 am

I went to "killens" and the brisket was delicious. Ribs were good,turkey was good, and sausage was ok. Free beer!!!! And I went around 12 noon and we waited for about 45min-1hr. Good shady area while you wait thanks to a big oak tree in the front. Staff was awesome and environment was awesome as well. Over all delicious food and will definately go back.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:04 pm

All_Grilla_No_Filla wrote:Boots covered probably the best. Not sure in which area you'll be, but if you're up north of Dallas in our area, I'm really liking what Hutchins is doing with their brisket and ribs. Pecan Lodge has some great beef ribs (everything was really good, but this to me was something that not everyone has, and it was great). Black's was my favorite place in Lockhart for beef ribs (maybe one of my favorites ever) and brisket. Aaron Franklin's place is a religious experience where brisket is concerned, and their ribs are really great as well. City Market in Luling was one of our favorite 'old school' places. All the food was great, but their brisket and sausage were realllly good. Ribs pretty tasty, too. The walls are yellowed from years of pit seasoning inside, discoloring even the wood paneling...lol.

I dunno, there a a ton of places in Texas that are world-renowned for their barbecue. These were some of my favorites. Bon appetit! Take some pics and share :-)

I DID forget Hutchins, and in my hometown too, somebody get out the hickory switch.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”