Pecan Lodge - Deep Ellum

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Pecan Lodge - Deep Ellum

Postby cowboydon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:27 pm

I had to go to Deep Ellum today and do some recon for this weekends Invasion Car Show, and it was 1 pm so I decided to stop by
PL and have lunch.
Wow they are very commercial queue at this new location, kinda miss the FM location now after eating here.
The queue was good, but the quality def. has gone down a little with this move. There sure was no line here today, 1 pm and there were 20 or so people inside and 4 sitting outside.
Had a 3 meat consisting of 3 slices Brisket, 1 pork spare, 2 burnt ends (3 actually if you count that giant chunk of fat they served me, you tell Justin isn't able to watch over this location like the old one) Okra (The Okra was awesome) and a drink 22.00 USD - I will drive to 380 and Tennessee to spend this much in the future, but at least I am content now that I have been and seen for myself that PL has def. lost some of what it had back in the day.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Re: Pecan Lodge - Deep Ellum

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:35 pm

For what it's worth...ditto...all around. Pecan Lodge was more of an obscure novelty with the added bonus of great 'cue when they were in the Farmers Market. It's lost its charm, now, and is more of a 'boutique' BBQ place. I, too, got the 3" puck of burnt end, and cut just over a 1" cube of meat out of it. It wasn't cheap, either :banghead: His briskets are insanely fatty, wherever he's getting 'em from. If that's how they're gonna serve their burnt ends I think they should at least trim the cap a little. My brisket was like that, too. Their beef rib was awesome, I have to admit.

It seems like the more I eat at some of the other places, the more I'm actually very pleased with the progress of our little crown jewel of redemption up here in McKinney ;)
Before about a year ago or less, they deserved nothing. Now I think they stand with some of the best places in the state. Maybe not the best, but...very good, and very consistent.

Thanks much for sharing!
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:54 pm

Yep, quality aint the same. We go to Hutchins in Mckinney. Best in the Allen Mckinney Frisco area. I get the two meat plate of 2 slices of brisket and 3 spare ribs, two veggies, rolls and the wife gets the sandwich special with two veggies, rolls, a drink each and its $24 total for both of us. Plus soft serve, peach cobbler and banana puddin available fer free. Puts PL to shame on taste and best value fer yer hard earned money. Nuthin fancy to pay for at Hutchins building wise as it aint in the high rent district! :) But I go there for good Q and could care less bout "atmosphere"! :)
Stella_Loves_BBQ
Pilgrim

Postby Stella_Loves_BBQ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:03 am

Big Dave, Hutchins added a a Frisco location in case you didn't know? I think the McKinney is probably closer to you being in Allen but they took over the old Randy White's BBQ on Preston/Main location.

scott
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:09 pm

I'm a Hutchins McKinney fan myself. I just live a bit down the road. Nothing wrong with the location to me. It keeps the fancy-schmancy people away! :dont: :lol:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:25 pm

We stopped in there after the last McKinney Trade days and picked up a Chicken Pak (Whole Chicken) to go, Green Beans and Mac and Mac Cheese 6 fresh rolls and Sauce, everything in that pak was excellent - We ate on it 2 days - $20.00 - Traffic is pain coming outta Dallas but worth the drive.
CowboyDon
Check out my BBQ @
alltherealbbq
Wtxsmoker
Wrangler

Postby Wtxsmoker » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:14 am

I was all hyped up for Pecan Lodge Q as I had never tried it. Glad to hear some others were not that impressed. I watched the pit guy and the smokers. They were just bellowing out white smoke. my ribs were bitter from the smoke. Not good. I hope they can get it back on track
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:32 am

My first visit to the new location about 60 days ago was aces - really good stuff, no downside on the quality.

Went again a couple of weeks ago, and the brisket was good but definitely down a notch, a little dry. With Justin running near 24/7 with 3 pits now versus 1 pit 3 days a week, I think it's a matter of getting some good solid pit jockeys on the night shift, and that takes time, as well as good cutters on the backboard. I think he and the missus will get it right over time, a restaurant demands you be 100% game 24/7, which is near impossible, you gotta have solid help you can delegate to.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Sure hope your right Boots, I used to enjoy the old location as that was also where I got my knives sharpened. I hope he can get it worked out before more of these types of reviews start showing up. I will give it 6 months or so and make the decision whether to try them again :)
CowboyDon
Check out my BBQ @
alltherealbbq
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:26 pm

I love to see folks jumping on the Hutchins wagon. I've been preaching their quality for over a year now. I made it over to PL about 3 weeks ago with some coworkers. The line was long, well out the door. We lucked out and only stood in line for 10 minutes before we grabbed some open chairs at the bar. I was a bit disappointed. I've never been a big fan of theirs, but always felt they have the best pork ribs that I've ever had. On this visit, the ribs were ok. I also got brisket and was let down. Flavor was good, but I too got 3 slices from the moist end. One slice was all fat, the other two were good but kinda small. I doubt I'll ever be back.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:55 pm

Finally made it to the new spot. Bbq is as good as the old place other than the burnt ends that even my dog wouldn't eat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:23 am

What time of day did you go? Been wondering what the lines / meet availability are like late Saturday afternoon & early evening.

Twitter handle @bsooner75
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:03 am

I went at 11:45 on Friday took about 30 minutes to order Image

erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:14 am

Just walk in and go straight to the bar.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
outlawninja USER_AVATAR
OutlawNinja
Wrangler

Postby OutlawNinja » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:37 pm

I agree on Hutchins, good BBQ and right up my alley... never tried Pecan Lodge, always wanted to but now I am having second thoughts lol
Outlaw Ninja BBQ
#outlawninjabbq (instagram) NinjaChef1
http://www.facebook.com/OutlawNinjaBBQ

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”