San Angelo, TX BBQ Joints

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

San Angelo, TX BBQ Joints

Postby jmcrig » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:13 pm

Got a friend there for a wedding asking for recommendations.
Mark Crigler
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Re: San Angelo, TX BBQ Joints

Postby cowboydon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:25 pm

Yelp is your friend when you are in a town and the only thing your sure of is that you want some BBQ ...

Here is your top 3 YELP review joints in San Angelo, but it seems there is also a Dickeys with 3 stars (seems kinda overated to me)

RJ Bar-B-Que
1405 North Bryant
San Angelo, TX 76903
Phone number (325) 659-4422
4.5 stars out 14 reviews

Bodacious BBQ
1207 W Beauregard Ave
San Angelo, TX 76901
4 stars out of 17 reviews

Bubba’s Smokehouse
1801 Ben Ficklin Rd
San Angelo, TX 76903
Phone number (325) 617-2913
4 stars out of 12 reviews
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:16 am

Thanks
Mark Crigler
AngeloBill
Pilgrim

Postby AngeloBill » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:16 pm

Howdy,

Jack sent me a message on FB about your question. I live in San Angelo and this is my personal preferences and opinion..

RJ's is a great bbq place. Family owned and I've known them for about 5 years. If you go there, get the pork ribs and sausage. Very down home style bbq.

Bodacious is overpriced.. It's about 9 blocks from my house and I maybe go in there once a year. Typically it runs my wife and I about $40 for 2 people and that's just brisket, sausage, drink.

I live right across the street from The Smokehouse. 2302 W Beauregard Ave.. (325) 942-0868... It is reasonably priced, locally owned and the food is good. If you're looking for good brisket then that is your place.

Bubba's is another place that is overpriced. Good atmosphere though and the food is good. I just hate paying a lot of money for bbq...

There is also Dickey's bbq. It's good but the parking is terrible. It's in a strip plaza and there is one way in and one way out onto one of the main thoroughfares in San Angelo... Their price aren't as high as Bodacious and Bubba's though... We had them cater our wedding several years ago.

So, basically I'd go with RJ's for my first choice.... The Smokehouse would be my second... Bodacious, Bubba's and Dickeys would come after those.. LOL...

I hope this helps more than confuses you... :chef:
Mr. Orange
Wrangler

Postby Mr. Orange » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:47 am

I've been to RJ BBQ a couple times and it's been pretty good. Ate at Bubba's Smokehouse on Friday and wasn't impressed.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:55 am

Big Welcome AngeloBill and Thank You for the nice review.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
AngeloBill
Pilgrim

Postby AngeloBill » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:38 pm

limey wrote:Big Welcome AngeloBill and Thank You for the nice review.

You're welcome and gracias amigo... lol...

I've lurked here over the years but never joined. Jack and I go back a few years and he's a top line bbq guy. I've done some bbq'ing and smoking for fishing tournaments and such.

Now that the kids are grown and gone, it's just my wife and I so we don't bbq much and one brisket will last us a while.. Typically I take it off the smoker and we eat part of it and vacuum pack and freeze the rest.

One thing I like to do is challenge my friends to a bbq cook off... I'm a Ranger for TPWD out here and I can usually talk a fella or two into coming way out here and we'll grill at the pavilion... I invite friends to judge the cooking.. They get free food and I get to cook for more than just my wife and myself. I lost the last cookoff a couple of months ago so that proves that my friends don't play favorites. LOL
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Thanks to all that responded/helped. My friends were there for their son's graduation from NIC school at the air base. They went to Bubba's, all it looked pretty good with the exception of the fork on the table. They enjoyed it, but didn't speak to price.

Mark Crigler

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”