Trip to Snows

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Trip to Snows

Postby erbeman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:43 am

So, I'm heading to Austin for a 3 day weekend to hang with friends and do another little BBQ crawl to some new places that I haven't been. Saturday morning I am heading to Snows. Anybody who has been, do you have any tips for me, other than try the brisket and pork steaks? What is a good time to arrive?
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
BigDave
Bandolero

Re: Trip to Snows

Postby BigDave » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:51 pm

They open a early. I'd get there at 7am if you want to try everything.
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:51 pm

Pork Steaks and visit with Kerry and Ms. Tootsie and check out all the cookers and get some pics for us :) and if you heading 696 outta Elgin enjoy the early morning drive - its a real nice road

SNOWS BBQ
We're only open on Saturdays at 8 am until sold out!
We suggest getting here early.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:30 am

So, me and friends made the trip out to Snows a couple of Saturdays ago and I thought I would share my experience. They open at 8 am and stay open till sold out. Tootsie, told me she usually starts selling out of stuff by noon. The drive out there is really nice. It's beautiful country side just right outside of Round Rock. The tiny town of Lexington is lost in time. I felt like we were on a movie set. We got there at 8:15 and there was probably 15 people ahead of us. The line moved kinda slow I thought. It took 30 minutes for us to get our order. I ordered some fatty brisket, jalapeño sausage, and pork steak. He pulled out a fresh brisket for me, so I was so excited to get some end slices, until he unwrapped this tiny brisket that maybe weighed 5 lbs. I was in shock. This is supposed to be a top 5 place. Kerry said I'm sorry this brisket is small and won't have much fat. So, you can either eat inside or out. There was no way we're were going to pass up eating out by the pits and Tootsie. This place is so interesting.

Now on to the food. First off, the brisket. I have to say, I was really, really disappointed in this thing. It was just OK. There was hardly any bark, it was sliced with the grain, and just didn't have much flavor. I started dipping it in their BBQ sauce if that tells you anything. I'm a BBQ purist kinda guy, so no sauce or utensils for me. On to the pork steak, I'm not much of a pork lover, so I didn't expect to be blown away by it and I wasn't. It had a strong flavor that you get from fat dropping on hot coals. It didn't do much for me. I started using sauce on that too. About then I started realizing, darn this spicy sauce is amazing! The sausage was also just meh. It also got the sauce treatment. I actually ended up going back inside and buying a bottle of that sauce to use on ribs. I absolutely loved it.

So long story short, I was underwhelmed by the food, but loved the drive, the town, the pitmaster and the setting. I will probably go back just for all of that alone

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:50 am

Nice!
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:51 am

I had a good experience there, but I agree with the atmosphere it's awesome. To me that is important too, one of the reasons i love Blacks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:26 am

She was on Franklin's BBQ show recently.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:42 pm

I haven't been to Snows in a couple of years I need to change that. Tootsie is a real peach..she reminds me so much of my granny
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:01 am

thanks for the write up and the pictures, good job!!
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:37 pm

We just hit Snow's this past weekend. You are right about the briskets. They are small. Cooked weight was exactly 5lbs on the brisket they unwrapped while in line. The pork ribs were pretty good, but not outstanding. The sausage was good, but seemed a bit overcooked. They had some beef ribs too. They looked sad. Of course, we have been eating some awesome beef ribs at both JMMC and Stiles Switch, so that might not be a fair comparison.

The brisket however was really, really good. Got it home and the wife was drooling about it right away. I don't know why they are doing them so small nowadays, but this one was good. The drive from Elgin is always great. It's fun to see those giant cranes on the strip mines out there. Beautiful country.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”