BummerQue

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

BummerQue

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 26, 2016 10:06 am

Gonna keep the name anonymous because I was raised that way, However, I must tell of an experience that the Wiffy and I had at a BBQ Joint we don't get to but twice a year and have always (until now) been very pleased. For the life of me, I don't know why some Great Places "lose it with no reason". :banghead:

We walked in and the aroma was perfect, I wasn't hungry until then but I was ready to chow down. The Wiffy and I got a Rib Plate with different sides. My sides were, as always, cole slaw and beans - - pretty basic stuff in :texas: The Ribs really looked good and were very tender but "BOING" the taste was horrible, bland, almost tasteless and there wasn't a hint of smoke. The Cole Slaw was also "tasteless" as were the beans. The Wiffy pushed her plate back as well but, FOR SOME REASON, we got some to-go boxes and filled them with almost everything that we sat down with. :dont: No matter how hungry we got later that day, the Carry Outs were left in the Motel Frig for the cleaning ladies to do whatever they do with TRASH. :whiteflag:

Started to put this in the Joke Section but I couldn't find anything funny about it. :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: BummerQue

Postby BluDawg » Thu May 26, 2016 10:56 am

BBQ is low on my radar when eating out. I refuse to pay for one meal what a whole cut costs that I can fix way better.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 26, 2016 12:23 pm

I'm getting there, Blu, and I said the same thing to the Wiffy coming home yesterday
:deadhorse:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu May 26, 2016 12:46 pm

BluDawg wrote:BBQ is low on my radar when eating out. I refuse to pay for one meal what a whole cut costs that I can fix way better.

Yeah, but it is hard to find raccoon these days.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu May 26, 2016 12:48 pm

Name names so we don't have to go through the same experience.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 26, 2016 2:20 pm

This very PM it is in your PMs
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu May 26, 2016 3:22 pm

I'd give the owner a jingle and tell him what you experienced. It could be that someone screwed up a batch of ribs and he'd like to know about it. I try to tell the owner/ chef/pitmaster if something is wrong. I try to be diplomatic about it, and ask them to taste the food themselves. I've only had one chef who took offense, and he later went out of business -- I can see why.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 26, 2016 3:25 pm

might do that - - - it really SURPRISED US to get bad food there
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:14 pm

I agree with Okie. The owner needs to know. If he acts like he doesn't want to hear it then move on. More than likely he doesn't know and will want to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu May 26, 2016 8:50 pm

Rule No1 of the restaurant world: yer only as good as yer last plate.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri May 27, 2016 11:38 am

would really like to know the name as well, so I can steer clear..
the wife and I were talking how in the food business the customer usually only gives the cook one chance, serve bad food once to me and I do not go back... there is a place near us, that has had superb food and service, albeit a little pricey, we have frequented it several times, the last time only once, was the last time.... we were talking with a friend who told us the place had a new manager, oh so that explains the bad food.... :oops:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
BobbyQ
Pilgrim

Postby BobbyQ » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:52 am

I had the same experience at a famed BBQ joint on the north side of the RR tracks in a town east of San Antonio.
Likewise at a German food joint in Fredericksburg, north side of Main street.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:12 am

BobbyQ wrote:Likewise at a German food joint in Fredericksburg, north side of Main street.

Yup, I think that a lot of us Bambi Slayers got bit by that place - - - - that's what over population of camera totting tourists will do to an Eatery sometimes :dont:
BobbyQ
Pilgrim

Postby BobbyQ » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:52 am

Yeah, the founders of the restaurant became old and turned it over to some undesirables not from the 'Burg.. The German potato salad that made the joint famous morphed into some flavorless white crud dumped onto the plate with a melon baller a la Laredo style.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:32 am

Two of my favs in Fredericksburg (back in the daze) was the old bakery on the south side of Main and the Pig Burger Joint out on the West Side - - - most times the grub at the Camp was so good you didn't want to eat in Town. :chef: Hey what was the name of the Meat Mkt/Smoke House that sold the great Jerky? ?Opas? or sumptin' like that??????

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”