Rendevous in Memphis

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Rendevous in Memphis

Postby egghead » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:16 pm

Spent the weekend in Memphis. Nice town with a bunch of stuff to do - museums, riverfront, Beale Street, etc. We spent about 2-1/2 hours at the Pavilion at St. Jude's hospital for children. What an amazing place. Our grand niece went through a three year treatment program for leukemia and has been in remission for over a year - yippeeee. If Danny Thomas isn't in heaven for all that he did for curing childhood cancer, we don't have a chance.

We did the walk up and down Beale Street and ducked in a few places without downing any adult refreshments. Lots of folks with their kids this weekend that were getting a burger or whatnot before going to Fedex Forum for a monster truck show. Excellent that you could bring your kids or grand kids to Beale Street for a look around and check out what's going on. I would never think of bringing a kid to Bourbon Street.

Okay - on the the Q' Review. I don't like giving negative reviews but I can't recommend Rendevous. They are evidently famous for their ribs so I ordered them. They come with beans and slaw. The ribs were very dry, and someone needs to hide the vinegar. Because the ribs were so dry, I tried some of their sauce. The sauce was overpowered with vinegar as well as the beans (probably put their sauce in the beans), and the slaw was like drinking vinegar from the the bottle.

My bride and traveling companion had the brisket - she out ordered me. It wasn't Texas brisket but it was moist, tender, and tasty.

The potato salad was good. But when you go to a BBQ joint and the Sweet tea and potato salad rank above the ribs, something just isn't right. A friend told me that what we had was representative of Memphis BBQ. Oh by the way - they were serving a sampling of red beans and rice when you sat down I guess cause it's Mardi Gras season. Pass on that as well -full of vinegary sauce.

Outstanding visit with great people but pass I'll pass on the Q.

We didn't run into

or BB King

I didn't know the Pyramid had been turned into a Bass Pro Shop - wow!! The inside is excellent with and a hotel and all the usual outdoor stuff. The Ducks Unlimited section is real nice. We road the elevator to the observation porch.

Panoramic view from the top

You can cross the bridge to

And come right back

My traveling companion says hello - yes, I know I married up

Cheers
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Re: Rendevous in Memphis

Postby CaptJack » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:23 pm

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:46 pm

You're a lucky man egg, nice pics too, that drink ya holding, was that the entree? Lmao.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:13 pm

First of all…thanks to the good Lord for your grandniece being in remission!

Second, thanks for sharing your pics and experience. Glad you and your wife got out on the town for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:24 pm

Wow, Sir Egg and Companion - - - great pics and great place to spend time looking - - - wish I'd known Y'all were headed that way, I would have recommended at least one lunch pause at Jim Neeley's Interstate BBQ. (Exit #7 off of I-55) I've never found ribs on Beale that could be bragged on and I can't understand why they "all" side PokeNbeans and not Frijoles.

No matter your smiles say it all. Did Y'all catch the Ducks doin their stroll :?: FWIW, there's no greater "E" fan than OUP 8)

Thoughts and Prayers for your G-Niece Continued Heeling Therapy and Thanks for sharing these with us :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:40 pm

First off, I am very happy to hear the young lady is in remission that long from a really tough disease, OUTSTANDING NEWS. I have always heard St. Jude is much like Scottish Rite here in Dallas - SIMPLY THE BEST.

On the barbecue front, I tried Central BBQ when I blew through Memphis 2 years back on the return trip from picking up Bonnie the Ankle Biter from O-HI-O. (My recommendation for that route to anyone is that a stop at Buffalo Trace Distillery is a MORAL IPERATIVE.) Central's ribs were pretty darn decent but generally a bit behind Texas competition grade, and the brisket was - well, how do I put it, it was what you'd expect. No offense or aspersions at the good citizens of Tennessee or elsewhere, but people in anyplace outside of Texas just generally have no clue at all how to smoke a brisket. They might as well just drag it behind their car until it gets warm from skidding down the asphalt, it would get the same results. The Central brisket was about a half notch over what Roland Dickey might throw on a plate down here (sorry Roland, I hope you make millions $ and wish you well, but you're not gonna make it off of me).

Once again, hats off to you and the family, and especially to the Grand Niece - :salut: :texas: SALUTE !!
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Hey Egg,

I ran up to Memphis after the races in Talladega last Oct. Ate at this place called Marlowes BBQ. It is just down the road form Graceland. And it was just terrible. But I should have known better being that close to a tourist attraction. I stayed in a RV part almost across the street from Graceland. And Marlowes had these pink limos that they came and picked up up in. It was the best thing they provided. Its like when I am in Houma to go offshore, I don't go out and eat mexican food. I stick to the seafood there. Guess from now on I will do the same with BBQ.

http://www.marlowesmemphis.com/
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:02 pm

I'll have the rack for 2 with the sides, and be quick,lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:43 pm

Commissary in Germantown is the only decent Q in Memphis.
roaniecowpony
Cowboy

Postby roaniecowpony » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:35 pm

This old thread struck a cord with me tonight here in southern Cal after I polished off some burnt ends I did last night. My brother called a couple hours ago from the Memphis area, in the parking lot of the Commissary. He was asking if he was missing out on any place further into Memphis. I told him I had only tried a few places in Memphis: Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ, Central, and The Pig on Beale, but the Commissary was great. I also liked the only thing I ordered at the Pig, a rack or ribs. They were done right. That trip to Memphis was just 4-5 months after Egg was thru there.
[i][b][color=#0000BF]Chuck[/color][/b][/i]
RecTec RT-700 Platinum Pkg
Bubba Keg grill/smoker
Capt-n-Cook 600" gasser grill
26" Weber Kettle
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:59 am

What’s the name of the place that is adjacent to the Peabody?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:06 am

We ate a several back in 2007 but Jim Neeley's was our favorite. :tup: "Except for the Pork n Beans" :laughing7: :lol: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”