Where Is The Cornbread?

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Re: Where Is The Cornbread?

Postby TexMike » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:17 pm

My mother and grandmother were both Texas country cooks. We had cornbread several times a week. Regular, hoe cakes, Mexican, cracklin, hush puppies and bacon and cheese style corn bread. I was raised on my grandfather's dairy. My dad worked there for a while and we didn't have a lot of money. We had cornbread and red beans for supper almost everyday. We also had plenty of beef along with fried potatoes. Nobody ever went hungry! :texas:
david brace USER_AVATAR
david brace
Wrangler

Postby david brace » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:10 pm

The 'cracklins' that I referred to are always MINCED, not in 'pork-rind' shape. They're just the right size to get stuck between your teeth... :lol: My guess is they're about a 1/4 inch square or less. As I said in the first post, after they're seasoned and dried, she minces them, so small is the size you're looking for.
She sometimes set that she makes a 'hurry-up' cornbread when her husband is looking hungry, and she uses the cornbread/muffin box mix...and then she sprinkles in some of the cracklins into the mix and bakes it all.

Next time, I'll get pix and I'll ask how she does them.
Gdub
Pilgrim

Postby Gdub » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:57 pm

I am new to this forum but wanted to comment on the crackling cornbread. I was raised on the stuff and remember as a kid being outside with the dad/uncles and gramps killing hogs. once the skin with the fat and attached meat was cut off they would build a fire around the cauldron or washpot and get er good and hot. once the skin/meat/fat was stripped and cubed it would be put in the pot and cooked. once cooked you would have the layer of crisp skin a creamy fat layer. To make crackling bread you cut the creamy fat/meat layer from the skin and add it to the cornbread mixture.

Probably one of the reason I got up to 260# before having to cut back a bit.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Good play by play, Gdub, been there and done that - - - WELCOME to the Forum :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Great stuff Gdub. I remember the smokehouses and giant cast iron pots. I love listening to my Wife’s Father talk about putting the sausage links in 5 gallon cans of hog lard

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”