Dickey's bbq

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Dickey's bbq

Postby Russ » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:10 pm

KFC down here is really good along with mcds, as for ribs and a lot of other stuff, there are a lot of "best ever" things said. I won't order ribs when out as they are always tough and no flavour, so I make them my way. On a level with ribs I've had in Hawaii. We have a local bar opened up 2 Saturday's ago, took the wife the first day open to see what the place was like. I walked up to the bar and when asked what I wanted I said my usual, lol, first day open. I got a blank look,lol. We had a few drinks and looked at the menu. It had their famous beef burger, how is it famous on its first day???

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:37 am

+1 on "to heck with chain restaurants when anything local-owned is open"
this applies quadruple for BBQ joints.
Re: Red Dumpster Cheddar Biscuits--it's too doggone easy to make yer own
drop biscuits and stir in some shredded cheese and brush melted garlic butter on top.
Just.Sayin'.
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:53 am

I saw this and had to chip in my two cents, LOL.

I completely agree with the earlier posts. Dickey's is terrible. Here in Sacramento, the service is equally bad too. My one and only experience, we walked in and I thought to myself, "Dang if this design doesn't look like every bad cliche idea New Yorkers have about the South". Then I try to find the menu board... It's on the pick up side, and the person behind the counter gets snotty with us for being on the wrong side. We should have walked out right there. Instead we ordered, and got some BBQ that could best be described as mediocre (if I was being kind), and some pretty nasty side dishes. The fly buzzing the table kept us entertained though. Never been back. Swapped notes with other people who were equally unimpressed though.

As for take out fried chicken... I have to agree with one of the earlier posts. Most are terrible anymore. Popeyes used to be good when I lived outside Atlanta, but they're... Well, better than KFC at least out here.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
bigthicketbbq USER_AVATAR
BigThicketBBQ
Wrangler

Postby BigThicketBBQ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:51 pm

Dickey’s will do in a pinch. They’re hit and miss, but for people who aren’t accustomed to legit Q, it’s fine. No worse than any other fast food chain, which is what it is.
——————————————
There is love enough in this world for everybody, if people will just look - Vonnegut
Instagram/behindthepinecurtain
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Seems like I recently offended the owner of the local Dickey's when I posted on Yelp about the bad service, flies buzzing my table and how I could out-BBQ them with one hand tied behind my back. :mrgreen:

Maybe I'll get a Bobby Flay style throwdown out of that last part. :mrgreen: :chef:
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:26 pm

Dickeys is the 7-11 of BBQ. Some of my Yankee transplant friends eat there every Wednesday because it's cheap. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
cowtownrancher USER_AVATAR
CowtownRancher
Pilgrim

Postby CowtownRancher » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:52 pm

Well, I guess I am a slow learner. I tried a Dickies when one opened nearby and the brisket was extremely dry and bland. Tried it one more time assuming it couldn't be that bad again, so I tried the pulled pork and it was the most flavorless thing I have ever put in my mouth. I have no idea how they stay in business. :dont:
Raising 100% grass fed & finished organic free range black angus.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Eating Dickey's BBQ is as satisfying taking a shower with a poncho on
techieq USER_AVATAR
TechieQ
Wrangler

Postby TechieQ » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:03 pm

My family picks up Dickey's family packs for something quick and easy every so often. My wife and daughter have allergies to work around and they're one of the few places that are allergy safe for them. The only thing I order is the off-menu hot links. I like their baked-potato casserole and it's hard to mess up fried okra. I agree the brisket is bland.

When this happens, I tend to take the subtle hint that I'm falling behind in my BBQ duties :D
Barbecue may not be the road to world peace, but it's a start.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”