cool article

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

cool article

Postby Rambo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:50 pm

Address and phone: 616 State St, Clarksdale, MS (662-624-9947)
Thompson says: “If I had one meal left in the world, it would be at a barbecue restaurant named Abe’s in my hometown of Clarksdale, Mississippi, and my order wouldn’t be barbecue at all. I’d order the Big Abe chili-cheeseburger, with a side of chips covered in barbecue sauce—the Mississippi Delta salad, I like to think—and eat it with a fountain coke with the world’s best crushed ice. If this were my last meal, my family would be with me, so my mom would order a brown barbecue chopped, and my brother would order hot tamales. My wife would order a grilled cheese, and pour the sauce over her chips, too, and the waitress would be Lucille. I’d recognize the Davis boys behind the counter, too, and listen to the sound of meat frying on the griddle, and see families in hunting gear straight from a deer stand or duck blind, or in suits and ties straight from service.
I’ve been ordering these cheeseburgers since I was a boy, and it is the taste I most often find myself craving. It is simple and addictive. Two griddle patties, with char and burn from the grease, and melted gooey cheese, and chili that burns your tongue and hand if you don’t let it sit for a moment—which I’ve never been able to do. So much is made now of a barbecue joint as a kind of temple for an old way of carefully handling meat, and while I understand that, I disagree completely. A real joint matters not because of whatever people do in the kitchen, but because it is an anchor of a community, of a little town or a neighborhood, a place you grow up going, and then visit every Sunday after church if you stay in town to raise a family; or a place you stop by even before visiting your mom if you up and move away. Abe’s Barbecue is the anchor of the intersection of Highway 61 and Highway 49, and of Clarksdale and the tiny farming towns surrounding it—of both the daily life of the city’s residents and the shadow memory life of everyone who intellectually knows they’ll never live in the Delta again, but takes a bite of Abe’s and starts to wonder maybe.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: cool article

Postby GRailsback » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:42 am

Rambo, I was up through there a couple of years ago. But I ate a little further down the road in Cleveland MS. A little further south on 61. At a place called Fat Baby's Catfish House. That is farm raised catfish country now. And of course cotton fields. It is also in the heart of blues country. 61 is called the blues highway coming south out of Memphis. Nice article.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:19 am

Being a blues guy "The Crossroads" is on the bucket list. Now I will have somewhere to refuel and ponder the legend of the past.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:42 am

I wish i had been able to spend more time in the area. It’s a very historic highway and area. Cotton fields for as far as you can see coming south out of Memphis. Lots of signs along the way for historic blues places. I hope to get back through there as well.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”