My crazy past week

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

My crazy past week

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:57 pm

The wife and I celebrate 15 years together on 8/9. She has wanted to to Gruene for Roger Creagers birthday bash for several years. So we planned the trip and of course started trying to sprinkle in bbq stops going too and from.

To make our situation more interesting my back took a nose dive and finally drove me to the point of Surgery. The Surgery was scheduled for today but last week the surgeon called to see if we could move it up to Monday. So we went Gruene and back 4:30 operating room wake up call for the Monday we returned. Good news is I am out at home recovering as I type this with new rods. Spacers and fusions on my L5 S1 area (low back). Needless to say I won’t be cooking much for a few weeks.

So here goes the trip!

Louie Mueller was the stopping off point in the way down and it did not disappoint. Their beef ribs are the stuff of legend and they were definitely legendary. Mixed in stock me lean for the wife and a couple sausage rings.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

With the meat sweats and 100 plus degree temps weighing us down we headed to Gruene.

Woke up to this view on Saturday morning for our coffee at Lambs Rest Inn.

ImageImage

We decided we were still stuffed from the BBQ the day before so we headed into town to grab a sub sandwich. Wouldn’t you know it, Blacks new New Braunfels location was just down from the sub shop…subs cancelled :) We did keep our ordering light this time though and they are doing some nice Q there.

ImageImage

We had our anniversary dinner at Gruene River Grill and I had a spicy bacon wrapped shrimp dish that was really good.

For those of you that don’t know, Gruene Hall is Texas Oldest Dance Hall and they have kept it all original - as in no AC, they just open up the windows and pray for a breeze. Well, it was sold out and no breeze. Still a heck of a good time though.

On Sunday we headed back with eyes on spending some time with the kids before Monday’s ordeal…but we still had time for one more stop. John Mueller’s Black Box BBQ in Georgetown. I would say he is at the peak of his BBQ game right now. It was all awesome and the Jalapeño Boudin was one of the best thing bags I’ve ever had at a BBQ joint. Highly recommended stop.

No pics of the surgery but I will tell you this if you ever need back surgery I highly recommend The Carrell Clinic in Dallas. They took excellent care of me. First rate staff of Dr’s, RN’s, RA’s, PT’s etc and my wonderful wife were all there for me at every turn. All hours of day and night. But it’s good to be back in my EZ chair :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: My crazy past week

Postby Rambo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:23 pm

Thanks for the Pics and reviews.

I wish you well in your recovery
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:57 am

Good looking grub, and Gruene is a nice spot.

prayers for a speedy recovery SIR, you'l be cooking in no time.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:54 am

Grub looks Great and glad Y'all had an enjoyable and safe Trip - - - - good luck with your healing and rehab, my Friend :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:37 pm

Y'all come back now, ya hear!

Great pics, meat looks so tender.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:56 pm

lol Russ - you crack me up.

Thanks y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:24 pm

Best of luck in recovery. Looks like you had enough Q to satisfy your cravings for a while. Nice write up. :thap:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:49 pm

Nice post sooner. Gruene Hall is iconic, i go there often.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:21 am

nice write up, good pictures get back well soon!
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”