Not so GOODE

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Not so GOODE

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:53 am

Wiffy had an Appointment yesterday and her two Sons drove up and joined us. Afterwards we went to a late Lunch at Goode and Company ?BBQ? and it was far from being anything close to "Good". She and I both got a chopped beef (Brisket) Sammich and we could not put enuff of whatever they call BBQ Sauce on them to keep them from being so dry you couldn't hardly swallow a bite. :banghead: It was my First and Last time, however, my Step-Son is a Vegetarian and, according to him, his plate was great. :roll: :dont: In addition to bad food, I am the first to admit that my ears no woik so good but the Lady serving up the Sides accent was so strong I could not understand a word she said no matter how loud she shouted it. :angryfire:
:whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Not so GOODE

Postby Rambo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:19 am

Ugh
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:01 pm

First year the wife and I went to the TM Top 50 fest(maybe 7 years ago) they were there. Remember not being impressed but chalked it up to some tough competition for my taste buds that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allenayres USER_AVATAR
allenayres
Rustler

Postby allenayres » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:44 pm

It's been several years since I've been but the one on Kirby in Houston was good
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:18 pm

Man I'm with you there parts, we had a family gathering a few years ago and we went to a Chinese place that was known got their pork belly. I turned down other things to just have that pork belly. It was dry and chewy and crackling was like rubber. Man I was gutted so I know how you must have felt.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:20 pm

10-4 Pard, and even worse, it was my idea and I picked up the tab :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Not so GOODE

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:24 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:10-4 Pard, and even worse, it was my idea and I picked up the tab :banghead:
Grab a cold one ( or 5 ) , fry up some Bacon, make a BLT and then go pound down some ice cream.

Those 3 things always make me forget the last whole week :):) lol.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:39 am

Northern Redneck Remedy - - - ol cure that has been around for Generations :tup: :salut: :cheers:
emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Postby emradguy » Tue May 14, 2019 12:02 am

when I moved to Houston back in 2001 a friend told me I HAD to go to Goode Company. So, I tried it, being a transplant from Los Angeles...and I thought it was meh. Yah, I should have known better, considering the friend was also a transplant (from Virginia). I've since been to a bunch of far superior joints in Houston, such that I'd never send a friend over to "not so" Goode Company...yeah, even the one on Kirby.
rexster314 USER_AVATAR
rexster314
Rustler

Postby rexster314 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:12 am

Goode Company is ok. By that I mean I really like the flavor of the q. Meat, sometimes not as much. I believe the quality started falling off after Jim Goode died in 2012, although he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's before that. He was at least 75% Hispanic which explains the kitchen help. And I don't mean that as snarky.
I can still remember almost 20 years ago sitting on one of the outside benches eating pecan pie and drinking a Shiner
Weber EX6 Smokefire
Masterbuilt 1050 GF
Masterbuilt 560 GF
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 8 burner 88,000 btu Gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Tue May 14, 2019 9:40 am

I've known Jim Goode from way before he got in the BBQ biz
chasing trout & reds at SanLuisPass
when Jim first opened, his Q was outstanding
but since he passed the restaurants have really gone down hill
soooo many other great new Q joints to go to
Last edited by CaptJack on Wed May 15, 2019 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 14, 2019 3:14 pm

Lots of Joints but the only place we venture when we've got the crave is Rudy's in Spring - - - I don't know if it's for the Q or their Creamed Corn ? :laughing7: :lol: :D :salut:
rexster314 USER_AVATAR
rexster314
Rustler

Postby rexster314 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:15 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Lots of Joints but the only place we venture when we've got the crave is Rudy's in Spring - - - I don't know if it's for the Q or their Creamed Corn ? :laughing7: :lol: :D :salut:

Take a trip to this place. Southern Q
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entert ... 727706.php

We were flying out of IAH to Cozumel last month and wanted some bbq to hold us over. Drove up to this place and wow@@!! It's a family affair there, and I think we met everyone in the family between stuffing our faces. Brisket and sausage were spot on. Sausage made in-house. Beans and cole slaw were very good, as was the potato salad on my wife's plate. And the banana pudding was pure ambrosia
Weber EX6 Smokefire
Masterbuilt 1050 GF
Masterbuilt 560 GF
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 8 burner 88,000 btu Gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer
peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Postby PeterB123 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 am

15 or so years ago, I really enjoyed going to Goode Co. BBQ. It's been about 3 years since I've returned to Goode Co, because their food just seemed to go from really good to just ok over the years.

Now, I haven't been to Goode Co. Seafood in a year, but it was really good last time I went.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:30 pm

Latest report: Ate there Monday while in Houston on business. Boot's report card:

Atmosphere: A - Couple of big silver mounted Bolin type saddles in cases, others hanging up high around the big room, tons of boots, saddles, spurs, blankets, and photos of old Houston events and the gentry, the restaurant is a cool place and a direct throwback to all the hundreds of now-gone old barbecue places that used to be all over Texas. Love the place.

Service: B - Very good service, polite, fast, pleasant, nice people. And THE PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS THE BACKBONE OF A RESTAURANT. We patrons appreciate them.

And then... drumrollllll.....

FOOD: D - As in Dessicated. Bland. Limp. Devastated. Overcooked and undersmoked. Select briskets rendered into meat noodles. Average sides (potato salad not bad). "Sorry, that's all, folks!".

BOOT'S BARBECUE TARGET RATING: A THROWAWAY SHOT OUTSIDE OF THE 5 RING, FAR FAR AWAY FROM THE 10X, BUT WORTH STOPPING IN FOR THE HISTORY AND NOSTALGIA.

I'm Boots, and I approved this message.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”