Castell General Store BBQ

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Castell General Store BBQ

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:47 pm

If ever near the hill country close to Llano go to a nice friendly town on the Llano river called Castell. Very good local BBQ on Saturday’s only smoked the night before and sold til gone. Pit right outside and real friendly community. I had the beef short ribs that were really good and the beans and slaw were self serve and was like a family style setting. Find them on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by PinoyPitmaster on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigAL71
Pilgrim

Re: Castell General Store BBQ

Postby BigAL71 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:03 am

I love that place. Good fly fishing in the river too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:30 am

It's been a while since I've been in that area but back in the daze I hunted and browsed around that country a lot especially when we lived in Nix.
How old is that establishment I wonder? I've been on that cut thru road from 29 headed to the deer lease in Doss or the Hilltop Cafe but don't remember seeing it?? We sure need to take a Road Trip that direction as soon as the Wiffy gets to feeling better. :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:39 am

Lots of great places out there unknown. My Daughter went to Camp Mystic out of Hunt and that entire area is super
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:58 am

Parts, I don't think it is on 29, I think it is back up in there close to the river. I have also spent a lot of time up there. As my first wife and I got married at the JP in Kingsland TX. It is a beautiful area, and I have had a lot of fun up there over the years. I don't get back up there much these days as we have a place in Canyon Lake, But years ago went quite often.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Yesir, I am aware of that and we used to sometimes leave Llano at the Courthouse and then take the River Road West across to 87 but I sure don't remember that Store and BBQ stop. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:13 pm

This article says they bought it around 2007 but does I didn’t see when it actually opened. The building dates back to 1927.

http://texashighways.com/travel/item/86 ... eral-store

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:10 pm

2007 would certainly leave me outa the chase :dont:
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:07 pm

bsooner75 wrote:This article says they bought it around 2007 but does I didn’t see when it actually opened. The building dates back to 1927.

http://texashighways.com/travel/item/86 ... eral-store

Great article! That’s about how it is too! It’s about 5miles from my deer lease.

PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:13 pm

ImageImage

29 from Llano left on 2768 and right there across the river

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:12 am

OldUsedParts wrote:It's been a while since I've been in that area but back in the daze I hunted and browsed around that country a lot especially when we lived in Nix.
How old is that establishment I wonder? I've been on that cut thru road from 29 headed to the deer lease in Doss or the Hilltop Cafe but don't remember seeing it?? We sure need to take a Road Trip that direction as soon as the Wiffy gets to feeling better. :tup: :salut: :texas:

I did not know anyone knew where nix is? nothing there but a phone man, retired game warden and a radio tower....
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:02 am

spacetrucker wrote: I did not know anyone knew where nix is? nothing there but a phone man, retired game warden and a radio tower....

spent the best 5 yrs of my Retired Life there with an abandoned Station on one side and the Old School House on the other.

100_1912.JPG

100_1839.JPG
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:27 am

WoW that is special it is a small world. I keep tellin the wife that would be a great place to live... (that and heck freezing over would have a common theme...)
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:27 am

spacetrucker wrote:I keep tellin the wife that would be a great place to live... (that and heck freezing over would have a common theme...)

THAT is the "factor" as to why I don't still reside there - - - I miss it every day of my life :( :roll: :banghead:

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”