San Diego, DC and Louisville

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Texan in Exile
Pilgrim

San Diego, DC and Louisville

Postby Texan in Exile » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:04 pm

In case any of you visit these cities, I figured I'd go over my favorite BBQ joints there...

San Diego:

First off, eat a burrito. These are unlike anything you will get in Texas, and any shop you see will serve good food (almost perfect competition here, bad burrito stands go out of business)... my two favorites are Tommy's Tex-Mex (not actually Tex-Mex) and Taco Surf.

In terms of BBQ, there is one place I'd go: Phil's BBQ. It's good. They've moved since I've last been there... http://www.philsbbq.net/
If you are in San Diego and need a fix, this is the place to go.

DC:
Disappointing food overall, I found it mostly to be overpriced and underwhelming. There were a few BBQ spots worth trying though...

Rockland was probably the best, although the sides were a little disappointing. http://www.rocklands.com/ They are pretty close to downtown (they are in georgetown, which isn't metro friendly)

Louisville: This is probably the best food city I've lived in other than Austin (and not counting the burritos in San Diego). I haven't lived here too long, so I've only tried a few places, but my hands down recommendation goes to Statens. They don't have a website, but it's just good food. From the sides, to the sauce (served on the side) to the deliciously smoked meats... Louisville has a good number of food options, but for BBQ, Statens is the best.

If you are in town, and looking for a more eclectic restaurant, Ramsi's still has some good, non-traditional ribs as well as a huge menu (almost too big, from a customer standpoint... and some items the food quality drops because they don't have a central focus), but it's a good place to take a varied group.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Re: San Diego, DC and Louisville

Postby JamesB » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:22 pm

Thanks for the info... Last time I was in San Diego I was chomping down fish tacos... Wish I could remember the name of the place. As for the other two locals, Don't really remember anything notable so I'll have to refer to your suggestions if I ever get back to 'em.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”