Experienced tasters please critique my sauce.

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Wyatt Earp
Pilgrim

Experienced tasters please critique my sauce.

Postby Wyatt Earp » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:34 am

I know for most of you this sauce is way too sweet but I definitely prefer the sweet/heat combo. You can see this a hybrid KC sauce but I have really hit a wall. I like it the best so far but it still isn't close to what my preferred sauce would taste like. And yes, your not seeing fresh ingredients because it gives me a longer refrigerator life without them. I really hate the ketchup taste in some sauces so I'm really masking it here. Go ahead and hurt my feelins' I need it:

Wyatt Earp's Sweet Heat

2 ½ cups ketchup
2 cups water
½ light karo syrup
½ cup tomato paste
¾ cup white wine vinegar
½ cup dark karo syrup
5 Tbls brown sugar
2 tsp liquid smoke
¾ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp chili powder
¾ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
3 tsp cayenne
1 tsp red pepper flakes

Simmer for 30-60 minutes or until desired consistency.

PS I'm not a fan of molasses (I know, I'm going to BBQ heck) so thats why you see the dark karo instead.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Experienced tasters please critique my sauce.

Postby limey » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:45 am

Looks like a good recipe except I do not use liquid smoke on anything I cook, just my two cents.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:55 am

If you don't like the flavor of molasses, then why use the dark Karo syrup??

From the Karo website..........

Karo® Dark Corn Syrup
Karo combines the natural sweetness of pure corn syrup with a rich brown color and distinctive molasses-like flavor.
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:59 am

Switch out the white vinegar for Apple Cider vinegar?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:17 am

Wyatt - I'm not sure what you mean by "I really hate the ketchup taste in some sauces"? I take that to mean - is not sweet enough for you?

I'm just thinking out loud here - couple of thoughts/things you may try...

Ketchup is made with tomato paste and most of the other spices you have in your recipe. Ketchup as the main ingredient + tomato paste and spices = you are basically making more ketchup. You may be able to remove the tomato paste and lessen the "ketchup" taste.

Also - you can use white or brown sugar for a more flavorful result, corn syrup "dulls" the taste of the other ingredients, IMO. Alternatively for a sweet syrup substitute to molasses, look for Steens 100% Pure Cane juice. Kroger's carries it here in Dallas. (that's one of my secret ingredients!)

Chili Powder is a nice idea, it can give you a wide range of results depending on which powder you use...
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:07 am

Agree with most of the feedback but wait there's more. Brown sugar is a mix of white sugar and molasses. Probably what you don't like is a heavy molasses flavor and that's cool.
I'm with Gator where I think I'd back off on the syrup and go to cane sugar. I'd back off on the ketchup and go with tomato paste, vinegar, spices.
I too would increase the chili powder (by quite a lot) and back down the cayenne to taste.
You might try molasses in moderation or sorghum or cane juice.

OK here is the basic flavors analyze and try to decide which needs adjustment.

Sweet
Heat
Acid (sour)
Spice (and herb)
Tomato

Remember that "finger" tasting and the taste on the meat can be quite different, you are trying to enhance meat flavor.
Also a large part of taste perception is olfactory so don't try to judge the taste of your recipe after you've been inundated with the smell of cooking sauce. Label samples with different ingredients (#1, #2, #3) and taste the samples after you've been in fresh air for a good while. It is easiest to make the simplest recipe and make it sample #1 then add something and it becomes sample #2 add something else, sample #3 etc.

Don't overlook some uncommon ingredients IE clove, dried apricots, tamarind, horseradish etc.

Have fun and good luck.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:12 am

Papa Tom wrote:Don't overlook some uncommon ingredients IE clove, dried apricots, tamarind, horseradish etc.

Some others are: raisins, Soy sauces (huge variety from light to tar in the Asian stores), hot chili paste, ginger and Maple Syrup.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:06 am

Dittos on the above and - I only change ONE ingredient at a time once I get close on a base recipe. Changing multiple ingredients can get you off track.

Another trick is to make your recipe without salt, finish it by slowly adding salt a little at a time until you hit it just right. Done.

Cold test sauces by putting in refrigerator over night, then try the next day.

Since you don't have to worry about it being shelf stable, you could also use fresh veggies instead of spices.

Come to think of it - you could spend the rest of your life dittling around with BBQ Sauce recipes...huh. :shock: :? :wink:
Gator

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:44 pm

Gator wrote:Dittos on the above and - I only change ONE ingredient at a time once I get close on a base recipe. Changing multiple ingredients can get you off track.

Another trick is to make your recipe without salt, finish it by slowly adding salt a little at a time until you hit it just right. Done.

Cold test sauces by putting in refrigerator over night, then try the next day.

Since you don't have to worry about it being shelf stable, you could also use fresh veggies instead of spices.

Come to think of it - you could spend the rest of your life dittling around with BBQ Sauce recipes...huh. :shock: :? :wink:

this is why I leave the sauce makin to pro's like the Sheriff :wink:
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi

Suggestions for Ur BBQ sauce would use tomato puree with little tomato paste other than Ketchup

for sweetners ~
Honey
jams
jellies
Rum or sweet liquear
pure 100% sugar cane as others stated

more Heat
Add little Sriracha

Would use more onion n garlic with chili pepper n some cumin powder with little Mexican oregano

As others stated --for sure one or 2 at a time in changing n wait till it sits over night..

Good Luck

Like to use either or Lea n Perins or worcestershire sauce very little ..
GOOD LUCK
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:25 pm

forgot

sweet Balasmic vinegar works good also with making BBQ sauce

Colavita aged Balsamic Vinegar Sweet Vinegar of Modena (walmart's NOT MUCH but is really good.

Mix a little of this balsamic with just any BBQ sauce to dip anything or pour over veggies n meats..
It great with frog legs also...
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
Wyatt Earp
Pilgrim

Postby Wyatt Earp » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:08 am

WoW! You guys/gals have really gone out of your way for me I and really appreciate! I'm going back to the drawing board to fiddle with your suggestions. What I meant by the ketchup taste is that sometimes I add spices and it just tastes like fancy ketchup. And on the molasses yes I meant the really dark flavor of molasses where as the dark karo just has a hint of it. I usually use the drippings for a smoky bacon flavor instead of liquid smoke. I'm in Europe so cane sugar juice is out of the question. Back in the states I used sorghum quite a bit. No light karo over here either I have o use Lyles golden syrup which is good just a different taste. Plenty of excellent honeys and jams here though.

Kind Regards,

WE
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:15 am

Wyatt Earp wrote:WoW! You guys/gals have really gone out of your way for me I and really appreciate! I'm going back to the drawing board to fiddle with your suggestions. What I meant by the ketchup taste is that sometimes I add spices and it just tastes like fancy ketchup. And on the molasses yes I meant the really dark flavor of molasses where as the dark karo just has a hint of it. I usually use the drippings for a smoky bacon flavor instead of liquid smoke. I'm in Europe so cane sugar juice is out of the question. Back in the states I used sorghum quite a bit. No light karo over here either I have o use Lyles golden syrup which is good just a different taste. Plenty of excellent honeys and jams here though.

Kind Regards,

WE

Its melted sugar so alternatively you can use sugar as long as you cook the sauce.
Gator

Qshack
Wrangler

Postby Qshack » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:51 pm

Just a thought, but have you ever tried an orange juice base instead of tomato, vis-a-vis Saltlick's sauce? For folks who like a sweeter sauce frozen and pulp-free OJ concentrate makes a great starting place for some "sperimentin! You could probably eliminate most of the corn syrup in this case. Just my 2 cents. Keep plugging away, tweaking here, changing there. You'll get lots of interesting mixtures along the way and might just discover your own holy grail sauce. :mrgreen:

Cheers
United, I stand alone against collectivism.

Cheapie off-set (3rd rustin out NB Smoker)
Hole in the ground, AKA "The pit"
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:34 pm

Gonna have to add OJ to the test pattern...never heard that one.
Gator

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”