Deputy gets burned.

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Deputy gets burned.

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 28, 2007 8:14 am

Being the cheap sob that I am, ran out of both chili powder and paprika at the same time. Kings, Safeway and Albertsons all wanted an arm and a leg for the stuff. Went to the local ethnic mart and scored a big plastic bag of each at a tiny fraction of the price the big boys wanted.

Fast forward to Saturday. Made up a batch of my Beef Rub for some meaty beef ribs I was going to cook along with some loin backs on Sunday. Applied the rub Sat Nite and smoked on Sunday.

I liked the ribs, but were even a bit spicy for me. Too hot for the Mrs. Hot like sweating from the forehead hot. Had to be the alien chili powder or paprika or both. Since the Mrs prefers beef over pork.... I'll work it out.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:14 pm

It's the Chili powder. Taste tested it next to some Cayenne, Chipotle powder and some other store-brand chili powder. It's hotter than hades. Powdered fire in a bag. Now just got to figure how to use it up :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:32 pm

that is a tough way to learn. I did that on a rub I made on the first set of ribs I made for the new smoker. WOW, they were SPICY. I mean to the point I was worried whow I would feel the next day ( if you know what I mean). BUT, I had to eat them, can not waste. On a good note, the neighbors LOVED them, so it was not a total bust. long story short, I hear ya, not the prepering with the un-knowns. Cheap is not always better.
GOOOOOOO ASTROS !!!!!
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:24 pm

DATs, was it chili powder or chile powder? Could be you got some fresh ground chile powder like a ground Habanero powder. :D
Jim
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:50 pm

Well I feel your pain brudder. I got a purty good scald put on me at the Mongolian Grill yesterday. As with your deal it was my own fault. I put too much hot chili oil japs and hot chile sauce on it. Sure was good but it had me sweating like a member of the minority co-moonity at a lynching in Alabammy..if you get my drift wink wink. :lol:

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:13 pm

OSD wrote:DATs, was it chili powder or chile powder? Could be you got some fresh ground chile powder like a ground Habanero powder. :D

That could be. The original package was plastic film. I emptied it into another container & tossed the wrapper.
Deputy Dave

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”