Chicken Injection/ Mop

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tuck USER_AVATAR
Tuck
Bandolero

Re: Chicken Injection/ Mop

Postby Tuck » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:59 am

jtilk wrote:
Papa Tom wrote:I can let you in on a little secret.....Redneck talks mean but slip him $100 in unmarked bills and he'll spill his goods.....

I was just about to say he'd either have to kill me, or make me pay the cost of admission for his class :D ... If I wasnt a good 6 hrs away I'd prolly be all over it. I've already hit him up about an audio version.

I'm not that far from you and I found the class very enlightening . Have been to a couple of cook offs as an observer and learned some more .
His class taught me a lot ,though I am still learning .
You got my two cents worth .
Later
Tuck
:smokin:
Porkaholic : No Need to Rehabilitate !

"Incoming gunfire has the right of way!"
BigDave
Bandolero

Re: Chicken Injection/ Mop

Postby BigDave » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Well I has done me share of yardbird over the years. On brines, they primarily add moisture and little flavor IMHO unless you make the brine strong with spices. I used to make a brine 1 week before comps so all the flavors could meld. The brine was dark and the chicken was dark when it came out of the brine. But, if you cut into that bird the darkness was not very deep.

IMHO if you really want to add lots of favor you need to use good rub under the skin. Injectin will help add flavor too but you must be careful with it or you will end up with a great tasting albeit mushy bird. Good eats but it ain't gonna win.

Best method IMHO, is to season with a good rub that isn't all sugar or salt. Most of the commercial rubs I see are full of salt and sugar cuz it's cheap and they are sparse on good spices cuz they ain't cheap.

Your mileage may vary. Cook several birds/halves differently spiced, brined or not, injected or not, rubbed under skin or not. Cook them at the same time so your smoke and temp levels are the same. When done, compare the flavor profiles for the birds.

Keep the birds the same size or as close as you can. This way the birds should all be done at the same time. Many times I will start lookin fer yardbirds on Monday for a Saturday comp. I like a 4 lb bird and they can be hard to find. lots of 5 pounders around but not 4 pounders.

Competition Q'ing is just like fishing. TOW or time on the water help you catch mo fisheys. So, TOP or time on pit or cookers will help you git more calls. There is no easy way!

Remember methods vary but it takes a good RECIPE to win. A recipe is not a method but a concise approch to seasoning and ways to impart flavor whilst cookin that yardbird.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”