What's your favorite funky ingredient?

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jarhead USER_AVATAR
Jarhead
Bandolero

Re: What's your favorite funky ingredient?

Postby Jarhead » Wed May 02, 2012 9:17 am

BluDawg wrote:Dirty hands & cigar ashes ;) Allspiece

You forgot the S&P, onion and garlic powder, Blu.
"Gunny"
FEC-100, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, 3-UDS's and a NB Bandera
Owner/Pitmaster "Debbie's Que Shack"
KCBS CBJ
Jarhead's World on the 26 inch Kettle
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed May 02, 2012 11:56 am

Smoking g8tr I too use the apples (and pears) shoved into large birds. Maple syrpl too, but only on beef and bacon. As for BluDawg's Allspice, you sure it's not Old Spice? LOL. I had to quit using the Old Spice when I spilled some and the cat drank it and died. If it can kill a cat, I don't want it on me.

I'll give you a funky I use. Cherry pie filling.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed May 02, 2012 1:50 pm

Boots wrote:you sure it's not Old Spice? LOL. I had to quit using the Old Spice when I spilled some and the cat drank it and died. If it can kill a cat, I don't want it on me.

Now that is good advice - the cat that poops near my eggs and on my back porch is in trouble 8)

Just kidding - wouldn't do that to one of God's creatures
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu May 03, 2012 1:31 pm

I am not a cat o phile; historically I could just barely tolerate them. Then Ms. Boots brought home "free" cat that ended up costing me $400 in shots, de-worming, electric cat box (bizarre story for another day), etc. Had always considered said cat to be exceptionally worthless, shiftless, and undersized (6-8 pounds). Example: found a field rat one winter's day in the garage, so I think to myself, I will deposit shiftless cat in garage to take care of the problem and finally earn its keep. I come in 20 minutes later to evaluate progress (I am really into this feedback loop and results stuff). Cat is sitting in dead center of garage, petrified of rat, which is freely roaming the perimeter. Loud curses ensue from Boots. I grab large 2 pound rubber mallet from toolbox, and chase said rat. Rat runs right under cat's nose at one point, cat is too petrified to pounce. I eventually dispatch rat with well aimed mallet blow, sending him express into the next life and good riddance.

So at this point I feel extreme disgust with shiftless, undersized cat, UNTIL one day the next-door neighbor's mean BIG cat (a huge 15 pound calico) wandered into our yard, sensing that our Aussie dog was not in residence that day, and decided to "take possession". This was a problem, because the thing was always pooping in my wife's flowers and just generally being obnoxious, hissing at the Ms. Boots, etc. Cat does not see me, so I reach for a rock and think, boy I have finally got the drop on that little so and so....

But before I had a chance to bean the thing, our previously unseen little shiftless cat Rambo-dropped about 4 feet off a fence right onto big cat's head and LATCHED ON. Unworldly caterwalling ensured, fur flew and piled up (about a 4 inch high pile I kid you not), while small cat thrashes large cat's head with its foreclaws like a high speed combine for about 3 minutes straight. Big cat finally escapes and screams it on home. Next day, neighbor asks my wife if she had seen a bobcat or coyote around, as something "tore up our cat" and they had about a $300 vet bill for about 30 stitches. Their big cat is now only allowed outside in their yard if on a cable tether to keep it "safe" from the mean old "bobcat that must be roaming the neighborhood". Snicker.

I now find I have a certain affection for our shiftless, undersized cat now. If you wish to rent said cat for weekend to eradicate neighbor cats, I can make you a good deal.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
jarhead USER_AVATAR
Jarhead
Bandolero

Postby Jarhead » Thu May 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Boots, I got 2 Dobies that hate cats. Not that I trained em that way. :dont:
No, cat problem here. :D
"Gunny"
FEC-100, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, 3-UDS's and a NB Bandera
Owner/Pitmaster "Debbie's Que Shack"
KCBS CBJ
Jarhead's World on the 26 inch Kettle
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu May 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Boots wrote:But before I had a chance to bean the thing, our previously unseen little shiftless cat Rambo-dropped about 4 feet off a fence right onto big cat's head and LATCHED ON. Unworldly caterwalling ensured, fur flew and piled up (about a 4 inch high pile I kid you not), while small cat thrashes large cat's head with its foreclaws like a high speed combine for about 3 minutes straight. Big cat finally escapes and screams it on home. Next day, neighbor asks my wife if she had seen a bobcat or coyote around, as something "tore up our cat" and they had about a $300 vet bill for about 30 stitches. Their big cat is now only allowed outside in their yard if on a cable tether to keep it "safe" from the mean old "bobcat that must be roaming the neighborhood". Snicker.

You tell a good story Boots. Are you sure you are not relate to Will Rogers? :D
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri May 04, 2012 8:05 am

Not related to Will unfortunately. But like some actor supposedly said as his dying words I look "like the illegitimate son of Buffalo Bill!".
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
JimH
Pilgrim

Postby JimH » Fri May 18, 2012 5:12 pm

I use fig wood with chicken, I get some very year when I trim my tree.
kevinv USER_AVATAR
kevinv
Rustler

Postby kevinv » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 am

I love my own home grown ground hot peppers, and fresh.

Also came across jack daniels wood chips. Love them. they give everything a nice taste.
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:54 am

Boots wrote:I am not a cat o phile; historically I could just barely tolerate them. Then Ms. Boots brought home "free" cat that ended up costing me $400 in shots, de-worming, electric cat box (bizarre story for another day), etc. Had always considered said cat to be exceptionally worthless, shiftless, and undersized (6-8 pounds). Example: found a field rat one winter's day in the garage, so I think to myself, I will deposit shiftless cat in garage to take care of the problem and finally earn its keep. I come in 20 minutes later to evaluate progress (I am really into this feedback loop and results stuff). Cat is sitting in dead center of garage, petrified of rat, which is freely roaming the perimeter. Loud curses ensue from Boots. I grab large 2 pound rubber mallet from toolbox, and chase said rat. Rat runs right under cat's nose at one point, cat is too petrified to pounce. I eventually dispatch rat with well aimed mallet blow, sending him express into the next life and good riddance.

So at this point I feel extreme disgust with shiftless, undersized cat, UNTIL one day the next-door neighbor's mean BIG cat (a huge 15 pound calico) wandered into our yard, sensing that our Aussie dog was not in residence that day, and decided to "take possession". This was a problem, because the thing was always pooping in my wife's flowers and just generally being obnoxious, hissing at the Ms. Boots, etc. Cat does not see me, so I reach for a rock and think, boy I have finally got the drop on that little so and so....

But before I had a chance to bean the thing, our previously unseen little shiftless cat Rambo-dropped about 4 feet off a fence right onto big cat's head and LATCHED ON. Unworldly caterwalling ensured, fur flew and piled up (about a 4 inch high pile I kid you not), while small cat thrashes large cat's head with its foreclaws like a high speed combine for about 3 minutes straight. Big cat finally escapes and screams it on home. Next day, neighbor asks my wife if she had seen a bobcat or coyote around, as something "tore up our cat" and they had about a $300 vet bill for about 30 stitches. Their big cat is now only allowed outside in their yard if on a cable tether to keep it "safe" from the mean old "bobcat that must be roaming the neighborhood". Snicker.

I now find I have a certain affection for our shiftless, undersized cat now. If you wish to rent said cat for weekend to eradicate neighbor cats, I can make you a good deal.

Hilarious story Boots!!!!
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:24 am

Thanks man, I just have all this convenient subject matter around Hacienda Boots begging to be written about.

BTW, congrats on the new TT coach. Think you Fighting Zoros finally got the right man for the job, we sure liked him.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:35 am

Yes, there is absolutely no better man for the job at this point. He will get the fans back and will have committment from the team for sure and we won't have to worry about him looking for the next big thing.

I'm sad I won't be there. I'm also a professional photographer and have been on the sidelines for 4 years. That is one of the biggest things I'll miss.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:37 pm

We "zorros" have seen this happen way before "carry me out in a pine box" Tuberville pulled such a stunt. Carlen.Sloan.Moore.
To coach at Tech ya need stickin' power above and beyond the normal.

dub(Fight Raiders Fight)

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”