why soon is to soon?

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

why soon is to soon?

Postby antaean7 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:30 pm

How soon is to soon to marinade ribs and/or chicken? I usually do it the night before. Would this evening be to soon if I am smoking on Sunday morning? PLEASE HELP
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:52 pm

A brine you would soak longer. A marinade is usually done for a shorter time. It's usually because of the ingredients that make up a marinade. They can start to break down the meat or start to cure the meat if left in it too long. Sometime it can cause the meat to get mushy. :D
Jim
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:01 pm

would 36 hours be to long to marinade with just seasonings, no liquid?
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:26 pm

Salt or sugar are the 2 main things that will start the curing process. I would think that would be to long.JMHO :D
I think overnight would be long enough. :D
Jim
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:50 pm

good deal, no real salt or sugar to speak of. Just Celery salt. I AM GOING FOR IT !!!! Will let you know hahahahaha

ok, next question, how about chicken skin? no skin? Pros and cons? I am going to use a basic chicken rub. With a Mustard base, you guys talked me into trying it today.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:21 am

antaean7 wrote:good deal, no real salt or sugar to speak of. Just Celery salt. I AM GOING FOR IT !!!! Will let you know hahahahaha

ok, next question, how about chicken skin? no skin? Pros and cons? I am going to use a basic chicken rub. With a Mustard base, you guys talked me into trying it today.

I would keep the skin on, prevents the chicken from drying out. If you smoke the chicken and the skin is too soft, when you're about to pull the chicken put it over direct coals to crisp up the skin. If you don't want the skin, well just take it off. The key with chicken, if you're not going to eat the skin, is to carefully lift the skin and apply your rub under the skin.
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:22 am

Thank you for the tip, I was not sure if I left the skin on if the flavor would make it to the meat, or just stay with the skin. I will just carefully apply the seasoning under the skin. I will have pictures Sunday afternoon.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”