To brine or not to brine? First run results....

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

To brine or not to brine? First run results....

Postby Grillatarian » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Curiousity about 'brines' and what they do (or don't do) finally got the best of me.... so I gave it a shot. Mixed up a 2 gallon batch for some yard birds and gave them a good soaking (1hr per pound).
Here is the mix:

1 cup salt
1/2 cup sugar
1- McCormicks Buffalo Wing spice mix (packet)
2 gallons of water

The chickens soaked for 5 hours and then were throned on basic can stand and left sitting upright and open in a fridge for 1 hour before being fed to the UDS. I did rub some spices up under their skin (as usual) before putting them on the throne.

Cooking: Birds sat in UDS for 5 hours at 250, no peeking.

Results: Super moist and juicy with good oak smoke accents. Didn't taste a micro drop of the Buffalo spice pack. :| Even though the brine was deep orange the meat on the chicken was not colored or flavored in any way. Just a light pink from the smoke (as usual). The texture of the skin was not as 'tight' as I like and the meat, while very moist, didn't have the firmness I am familiar with. Granted, I have not eaten all of it, just a small sample of the breast and some off of a drum. The reason I did them is for using in a spicy chicken salad that will be offered out a family reunion. For that purpose I think the chicken will be great.

Am not sure if I really like the 'brine' effect or not. I don't think I will do the brine and the can again though. Maybe one or the other, but not both. Seems kinda like overkill.

Anybody else have advice or insight into the briney woods :?:
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: To brine or not to brine? First run results....

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:21 pm

been brining chicken and turkkeys for years and love the results......you might want to give Alton Browns Orange brine a try its a great basic recipe....
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
queʹa syde USER_AVATAR
Que'a Syde
Cowboy

Re: To brine or not to brine? First run results....

Postby Que'a Syde » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:54 pm

I been using a solution of water and apple juice for and some spices for a brine..boil it dn let it cool and go from there...had good results but from all i read the skin u described is the usual end result..i read and tried leaving just the skins in the fridge an hour or a bit more to evaporate some of the extra liquid in the skin..then re wrap and smoke..now that may not work for full bird...lol..i used thighs and it woked out well.. :geek:
East Texas Smoker RK250/Autism edition
Fat Ash Drum Smoker
KCBS Memeber #60187
KCBS Certified Judge #60187
MBN Member #T110238

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”