Dry Rubs, Franklin Rub?

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

scotchale USER_AVATAR
scotchale
Pilgrim

Dry Rubs, Franklin Rub?

Postby scotchale » Sun May 13, 2012 8:35 pm

My wife and I recently went to Franklins in Austin. That trip alone will suffice for a different post altogether. With a better inspiration (more like an epiphany!) for cooking brisket after that experience at Franklins recently, I cooked a brisket today :)

I will save the details of the actual cooking for another post. But the argument with my wife today was the rub.

I have a rub I have used for years that a friend of mine gave me the recipe for about twelve years ago. Since its a recipe, not a commercial rub, I can make it when I want and of course, modify it. I have always loved it, but my wife can't stand it, mainly because it contains "cayenne pepper" in it, and no, I don't put much in to make it "hot hot" but enough for a tangy bite to whatever I use it on.

My wife's comment was "what kind of rub do you think Franklin's uses?" I have no idea, maybe he doesn't use a rub, I never honestly gave it a thought while I was eating there...I was more astounded by the tenderness of the meat. So the first question, does anyone know if Franklins actually uses a rub? And if he does, whats probably in it?

For most places I was aware of their rub, whether it be for steak, ribs or brisket, I never hear more than salt, pepper, then maybe some garlic? More than likely, my wife would be fine with that, I might give in and go with that next time :(

My current rub consists of Paprika, Course Black Pepper, Sea Salt or Course Kosher, Sugar, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Cayenne Pepper. I tend to back off the salt a bit, then garlic pending who's eating this with me, and if other folks will have my BBQ that I don't know (some group function) then I will back off the cayenne pepper.

If anyone has any input on rub recipes, that would be great. I am not interested in commercial rubs, most tend to be too salty in my opinion. Most meats to me, already have sufficient sodium to begin with, and too much added salt, kills all of the flavor.

Comments from an 'ol salt'
Bryan in Bryan
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Re: Dry Rubs, Franklin Rub?

Postby FR8 Train » Sun May 13, 2012 8:57 pm

S&P is what franklins uses
Last edited by FR8 Train on Sun May 13, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sic 'em Bears"
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm

I personally buy commercial rubs just because they are pre-mixed and as some of the "professional" Q'ers have said there are enough on the market these days you can prolly find one you feel is perfected. But thats another arguement... I tried a friends brisket that other day who simply used the dirty dalmation rub (salt, pepper, lemon pepper, garlic powder and he thru in some cayenne which is optional I guess) and came away pretty impressed. No wrapping, no basting... Just rub and throw on the pit.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
scotchale USER_AVATAR
scotchale
Pilgrim

Postby scotchale » Sun May 13, 2012 9:07 pm

jtilk wrote:I personally buy commercial rubs just because they are pre-mixed and as some of the "professional" Q'ers have said there are enough on the market these days you can prolly find one you feel is perfected. But thats another arguement... I tried a friends brisket that other day who simply used the dirty dalmation rub (salt, pepper, lemon pepper, garlic powder and he thru in some cayenne which is optional I guess) and came away pretty impressed. No wrapping, no basting... Just rub and throw on the pit.

The no basting, or pre-prep is one reason I like rubs....rub on and go.

I'm not against commercial rubs, but there are so many out there, and they get pricey at times. I have so many rubs on hand already from past trials or gifts from relatives or such. Most are about to get thrown away when the school year ends in a few weeks or will take to work and leave on break-room table. RV cabinet is too full as it is !

Didn't mean to rub it in the wrong way :oops:

Bryan in Bryan
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun May 13, 2012 10:01 pm

No rubbing the wrong way here. To each his own... Heck my wife has given my my own pantry in our house due to all the BBQ stuff I've accumulated, which consist of more rubs than I know what to do with. I'm always doing a lil trial and error with new stuff I buy, but thats just me, doesn't make it right or wrong my friend. :D
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Dry Rubs, Franklin Rub?

Postby atcNick » Sun May 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Franklin claims he used 50/50 kosher salt and coarse black pepper.

I recently made pitmaster T's Tri-level dirty Dalmatian brisket.

Google it and you can find the recipe. Has a nice crusty bark.

-Nick
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Dry Rubs, Franklin Rub?

Postby atcNick » Sun May 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Crusty

-Nick
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Mon May 14, 2012 8:09 am

I tried the 50/50 salt/pepper rub but IMO I think 70% salt 30% pepper would be better. I used course ground pepper, not sure if that made a difference.
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Mon May 14, 2012 8:37 am

I use a blend of 3 diff Fiesta rubs, brown sugar and black pepper.
I'm happy with it and every one who's tried it loves it.
I don't think I could buy 10 different spices and come up with something better.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon May 14, 2012 9:45 am

I have three different rubs for Brisket depending on what direction the wind is blowing.

Rub #1
50/50 Kosher salt & Tones Butcher grind Black pepper

Rub #2
same as #1 with 1/4 garlic powder and 1/16 th Mexican oregano

Rub #3
same as #1 with an application of chili powder before applying #1

All briskets get a rub down with a Little Worcestershire first.

I have in the past mixed 49 ingredients then I smartened up K.I.S.S. :deadhorse:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
scotchale USER_AVATAR
scotchale
Pilgrim

Postby scotchale » Mon May 14, 2012 9:57 pm

"All briskets get a rub down with a Little Worcestershire first."

There's a thought, maybe also a low-sodium soy sauce?

I currently put a light rub of olive oil (regular, none of the virgin stuff, lighter), then coat with the rub, then pat it down. Generally will flip one side rubbed onto the grill, then I put a layer of rub on the top of the meat after its on the grill...sort of keeps me from wasting rub by turning it over on the plate initially.

Never heard of "dirty dalmatian" until this post...amusing :)

Bryan in Bryan
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon May 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Cover it liberally with Hog Waller then layer some Competition on top of that and you'll be fine.
Recently bought some of Tones Beef flavor powder or something like that at Sams, that should add a little more beefy to it, I like it.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:36 pm

That is an Amazing taste they get at Franklins to be just S&P!!
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Mon May 14, 2012 10:40 pm

Damon54 wrote:That is an Amazing taste they get at Franklins to be just S&P!!

Give it a shot sometime, you'd be surprised how good a straight salt and pepper brisket tastes. Some think a brisket done any other way is not done right. I think you'll find most of the central texas joints use a simple salt and pepper rub with varying ratios.
"Sic 'em Bears"
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:51 pm

I am a fan of S&P and go that route the majority of the time. Almost always use only salt & pepper on the fat side to keep cost down.

In my attempts to approximate Franklins results I find that I have to dig a little deeper into the tool shed so to speak.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”