Dry Rubs, Franklin Rub?

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Damon54
Cowboy

Re: Dry Rubs, Franklin Rub?

Postby Damon54 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:53 pm

I know that butcher paper is made to protect meat in a freezer but what exactly is the difference between the two?
Last edited by Damon54 on Mon May 21, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Damon54 wrote:I know that butcher paper is made to protect meat in a freezer but what exactly what the difference between the two?

Parchment paper is a bakers best friend. It is a non-stick surface (silicon or some kind I think) so there is no melt of wax. Its some pretty durable stuff. Can't write on it though, well maybe with a sharpie.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
cmack USER_AVATAR
cmack
Pilgrim

Postby cmack » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:37 am

I use salt, black pepper and a small amount of cayenne. I got a small bag of seasoning from Smitty's Market in Lockhart and mixed the ingredients until I came up with the same proportional look. Simple is good!
smokey dean USER_AVATAR
Smokey Dean
Pilgrim

Postby Smokey Dean » Wed May 14, 2014 8:36 pm

It's been a while since anyone posted on this topic but just recently I watched a youtube video of Franklin BBQ doing brisket and he did say he used 50/50 salt pepper ratio, but who's to say that's the full recipe? I don't think he would hand out the full secret would he? It might be the only ingredient I don't know. When I use salt and pepper, it seems that all I can taste is the salt and pepper. I would think a 50/50 blend would over power the meat especially seeing how much he puts on it. In another video he said for ribs he uses a 2:1 blend meaning 2 parts pepper to one part salt because its easy to over salt ribs. He did add paprika for color and equal parts of onion and garlic powder.

I bought his bbq sauce from HEB and its fantastic. Its almost like a gravy sauce with it being thin.

http://youtu.be/0eSFdddaRnk
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:04 pm

I've used the 50/50 method for brisket & really like it. But I like a bold pepper bark.

The pork rub in his video for pulled pork is fantastic.

It kind of overpowers ribs to me. I'm digging Sucklebusters rubs for my ribs.

Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jlh USER_AVATAR
jlh
Pilgrim

Postby jlh » Thu May 15, 2014 10:21 pm

I haven't eaten at Franklins yet; planning a trip through Austin in September and it's on the agenda to stop there. I did however read an article from TMBBQ with John Lewis of La Barbeque and he said that he worked for Franklin for a while and claims that he never cooked a brisket with just salt and pepper. :dont:
Don't know what he uses but I am looking forward to trying it...

http://www.tmbbq.com/interview-john-lew ... -barbecue/
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri May 16, 2014 11:13 am

Technecially he's telling the truth But the Rub IS S&P. Franklins spray each Brisket with a mix of Worcestershire & Water when they wrap it in Butcher paper.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jlh USER_AVATAR
jlh
Pilgrim

Postby jlh » Fri May 16, 2014 5:34 pm

Guess what I'm trying on the next brisket?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
smokey dean USER_AVATAR
Smokey Dean
Pilgrim

Postby Smokey Dean » Tue May 20, 2014 8:34 pm

I finally did a good rack of ribs. I used S&P as the main spice then added alittle paprika, garlic, and onion powder. I was shocked how well it turned out! Watching Franklins videos really helped a lot. My ribs two cooks ago cooked at 225 but it was tough and dried out, this time, 275 degree did the trick but it also helped having a maverick dual probe to watch the temps at grate level. I tried countless rubs both store bought and scratch made recipes from the web and they all seem to take away from the flavor of the meat. I finally came up with my own blend based on Franklins example rub in the video.

My basting sauce that I used was 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1 table spoon yellow mustard and 1 teaspoon Franklins bbq sauce with a dash of my rub - Mix it all up in a plastic squeeze bottle for basting.
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:45 pm

Down that way DD rules and there is no reason for the pitmasters at some of the legendary joints to lead us astray, there is also one more item that adds to the flavor that doesnt get as much attention, but Central texas wood preferences and North Texas does vary get some post oak and you may see a difference with DD and the way the Brisket flavors come out. Hopefully you will find something that pleases.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:43 am

Franklin's uses 50/50 salt & peppa BY VOLUME. The peppa is 16 grind which is courser than more pepper grind sizes. He also uses Kosher salt which is a larger crystal size than table salt.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”