salt questions

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

kevinv USER_AVATAR
kevinv
Rustler

salt questions

Postby kevinv » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:47 am

I have a few quick question. I have a basic bbq rub that I use, but the last batch seemed very salty. Used course sea salt as always. same ratio as always. Why would that be?

I have also had a request for a nosalt rub. Is there a purpose for the salt in rubs?

Last question. what is the difference between course kosher salt and course sea salt?
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: salt questions

Postby Gator » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:29 am

kevinv wrote:I have a few quick question. I have a basic bbq rub that I use, but the last batch seemed very salty. Used course sea salt as always. same ratio as always. Why would that be?

I have also had a request for a nosalt rub. Is there a purpose for the salt in rubs?

Last question. what is the difference between course kosher salt and course sea salt?

Salt is salt...not sure why it would vary, perhaps the other ingredients were not as fresh and the salt over powered them? Settling in the bottle? Different grind? Just guessing.

The difference between Kosher salt and salt is that the Kosher salt has been blessed by a Rabbi.

Salt can have different trace minerals depending on the mine and therefore have a slightly different taste...I would submit that ALL salt came from the sea (at some point). :happ:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
jarhead USER_AVATAR
Jarhead
Bandolero

Postby Jarhead » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:30 am

There is a difference of weight from Kosher to another. Are you weighing or measuring?
DO NOT use Iodized table salt. YUCK factor applies.
Salt enhances the flavor of whatever it's put on. Try a salt substitute?
"Gunny"
FEC-100, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, 3-UDS's and a NB Bandera
Owner/Pitmaster "Debbie's Que Shack"
KCBS CBJ
Jarhead's World on the 26 inch Kettle
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:45 pm

kevinv wrote:I have a few quick question. I have a basic bbq rub that I use, but the last batch seemed very salty. Used course sea salt as always. same ratio as always. Why would that be?
Maybe the the rub was on for a longer time before the cook. Thus more salt penetrated the meat.I have also had a request for a nosalt rub. Is there a purpose for the salt in rubs?
Salt displaces water in meat, and helps to brake down meat fibers. It also helps the rub to flavor the meat by pulling the spice into the meat.
Gator got you covered, salt should always be by weight. There is more table salt in a tablespoon than a tablespoon of course salt. because of the grind. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:46 am

I've developed more than a passing interest in salts. But I found this expanation from the folks at Food Network is more clear and concise than I could be without a great editor:
Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits, and includes a small portion of calcium silicate, an anti-caking agent added to prevent clumping. It possesses very fine crystals and a sharp taste. Because of its fine grain a single teaspoon of table salt contains more salt than a tablespoon of kosher or sea salt.

Sea salt is harvested from evaporated seawater and receives little or no processing, leaving intact the minerals from the water it came from. These minerals flavor and color the salt slightly. However, because these salts are usually expensive, it is worth keeping in mind that they lose their unique flavor when cooked or dissolved.

Kosher salt takes its name from its use in the koshering process. It contains no preservatives and can be derived from either seawater or underground sources. Aside from being a great salt to keep within arm's reach when you are cooking, it is particularly useful in preserving, because its large crystals draw moisture out of meats and other foods more effectively than other salts

I have several Sea Salts and have found that they don't lend themselves very well to rubs. I do use Kosher(ing) salts in my rubs. Not that I'm trying to make Kosher meats intentionally, but if that's what I end up with so be it. If its made in to be in accordance with Kashrut* it will say "Certified Kosher" on the lable, otherwise its just regular (kosher) salt. All the celeb chefs use Kosher salt, easy to measure by the pinch I guess. As for Table salt, iodine was added to it decades ago to prevent rickets. You can buy it non-iodized table salt too. I got some in the pantry -very seldom use it. :shock:

*There are many misconceptions about what Kosher really means. I was "set straight" a few years ago by a Jewish friend. Here is a good link for more information on the topic. http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”