glaze question

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

kevinv USER_AVATAR
kevinv
Rustler

glaze question

Postby kevinv » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:11 am

I have a question for everyone about glazes.

I have been working on something for my chicken. It is a mix of

1 part honey
2 parts maple syrup
onion/garlic powder
pepper

sometimes add a bit of heat with chipotle powder

Now my question is this. Someone said that a glaze needs some sweet bite. How would that be done? I find it very flavorful, and sweet.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: glaze question

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:56 am

kevinv wrote:I have a question for everyone about glazes.

I have been working on something for my chicken. It is a mix of

1 part honey
2 parts maple syrup
onion/garlic powder
pepper

sometimes add a bit of heat with chipotle powder

Now my question is this. Someone said that a glaze needs some sweet bite. How would that be done? I find it very flavorful, and sweet.

100% agave syrup
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:31 pm

When you say sweet bite... you talking a bite of sweetness?? OR some spice to the sweetness??
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
RLTXBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby RLTXBBQ » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:45 am

You already have the sweet, you can add heat from many different ways, most common being black pepper, white pepper, cayanne, chipotle, or more recently the habanero craze, there are many more of course and each pepper has it's own individual flavor.
kevinv USER_AVATAR
kevinv
Rustler

Postby kevinv » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:13 pm

jtilk I am not sure where they were coming from. I assume they meant a sweetness when they bite in. To me I think it is sweet enough, and needs a bit of a spice tweak. To me it is a work in progress.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:56 pm

I guess what I'm getting at is what are you referring to when you refer to "bite". I'm assuming you mean heat??... I add cayenne to my glazes for this because it really does not change the flavor profile at all just adds heat. If nothing else look at adding some rib candy (Texas Pepper Jelly) to it, they come with habanero or jalapeno added to them, but all are good products.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:24 pm

kevinv wrote:jtilk I am not sure where they were coming from. I assume they meant a sweetness when they bite in. To me I think it is sweet enough, and needs a bit of a spice tweak. To me it is a work in progress.

If I were a betting man I bet the farm that they were talking 'bout some heat to compliment the sweet. Pepper, chiles, ginger or cinnamon will all accomplish that. Personally, I try adding a little fresh ginger off the microplane to marry up with the honey -a match made in heaven.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:35 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:
kevinv wrote:jtilk I am not sure where they were coming from. I assume they meant a sweetness when they bite in. To me I think it is sweet enough, and needs a bit of a spice tweak. To me it is a work in progress.

If I were a betting man I bet the farm that they were talking 'bout some heat to compliment the sweet. Pepper, chiles, ginger or cinnamon will all accomplish that. Personally, I try adding a little fresh ginger off the microplane to marry up with the honey -a match made in heaven.

I was thinking so as well... Rednecks response thrw me for a loop and made me question it.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”