Rudy's BBQ Sause

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Re: Rudy's BBQ Sause

Postby txngent » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:24 pm

Rudy's Sause (that's the spelling) is a under lock n key thang. When they were bought out a while back, big stink when HEB started selling the stuff. It was pulled off the shelves with a court ordered lawsuit. It is a vinegar base sauce.
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
mb61162
Wrangler

Postby mb61162 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:07 am

Rudy's is my favorite as well. I use it on everything including brisket, ribs, burgers - even tried it on nachos and it wasn't bad. I have two large bottles in my pantry right now and taking two bottles to my mother in law in Denver over Spring Break. It is addicting!
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:14 am

txngent wrote:Rudy's Sause (that's the spelling) is a under lock n key thang. When they were bought out a while back, big stink when HEB started selling the stuff. It was pulled off the shelves with a court ordered lawsuit. It is a vinegar base sauce.

No its not. Tomato based.
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Okay, maybe I was reading the label wrong when it was right in front of me about a week ago.
Randy
mb61162
Wrangler

Postby mb61162 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:52 pm

I think you are both right. It has tomato paste and distilled vinegar as two of its main ingredients.
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:55 pm

You are correct. I don't know how much investigating you want to do, but rumor has it that they also us a cola product as well.
Randy
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:38 pm

I just have to disagree

When Rudy's opened in 1988 in Leon Springs Texas, the BBQ and sauce was an instant hit. the sauce was bottled by a small shop ( in Abilene or Amarillo I believe) and had a very simple ingredients label.

It read as follows and in this order:

tomato sauce ( not paste)
Ketchup
brown sugar
vinegar
worcestersauce
lemon juice
garlic powder
black pepper
comino
cayenne pepper

That was it. No long chemical names or a list of preservatives. No mustard, no cola, no coffee. Ingredients are listed in order of concentration most to last.
Rudy's eventually went to a large bottler that did the standard "make a recipe that taste the same but is make with institutional products" and has all the familiar chemical names and preservatives.

now, as far a vinegar based, google "vinegar based bbq sauce" and look at the recipes that show up. I have. 80 percent will be 1/2 vinegar by volume and have NO tomato products. A few will have a small amount of ketchup.
I just looked at the ingredients on the suckle busters bbq sauce bottle, ingrediant # 1 is Vinegar. Anyone here think suckle busters is a vinegar based sauce?? Dan?

Now, I'm not looking for a fight, but there members here that are new and know very little about bbq and came here to learn, so I think its important that we be accurate when we share information.
There are many topics that are opinion driven and there is really no correct answer,( i.e. fat side up fat side down.)

But when it comes to Rudy's sauce, it has never, is not, and never will be considered a vinegar based bbq sauce IMHO
Charmglo gasser,

Git-er done
GIG EM
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:59 pm

This is my last post on this, as I don't want to be the negative in this as all I wanted to do is add the information I KNOW about the question. I guess the founders of Rudy's that was on the bbq show were telling the world the wrong way they make their sauce, or as they labeled it "sause". Hey, if you mimic a flavor and it taste like the original... I guess that means you have the exact ingredients. :roll: As far as starting the "wrong" accusations it wasn't me. AND I think one of Dan's awards was in the "vinegar base" bbq sauce class. I didn't post to pull it out of my butt, it was what I saw on TV about Rudy's and what I have seen at the Rudy's here in Houston. Grant it, it is not the "original" but the recipes are all supposed to be from the original recipes. No offense to anyone, sorry I tried to enlighten with what I know.
Randy
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:02 pm

SuckleBusters Original BBQ Sauce is considered vinegar based - at least that's the way I have to enter it into contests. I suppose I could enter it as tomato or sugar based, but vinegar is the dominant flavor and #1 ingredient. IMO its really a vinegar - tomato - sweet sauce, but they don't have a category for that.

;)

Vinegar..Tomato. Smoke..BBQ. Is anyone confused yet? I am. It all depends on who you ask...I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:22 pm

I don't care what "they" say and I don't want to interrupt, contribute to or otherwise affect the argument. I have traveled a bit and of course eaten the Q and to me a vinegar based sauce is that runny stuff in North Carolina man there's no disputing the vinegar content of that stuff. Might add here that I think some of it has no reasonable earthly use and then some of it is darn good on pulled pork. As for the stuff west of the Mississippi I find it kind of hard to categorize as far as content but easier to call by location. There's KC type, Texas west and east, St Louis type etc. . But then that isn't always real clear either in that I think Gates in KC makes the best Texas style sauce and I'd even call it a west Texas sauce.
But then as the world gets smaller and BBQ becomes less regional I suppose everything will become more fuzzy. So if'n you can't really put you finger on it we can always narrow it down to .....Good Q or Bad Q.
tarde venientibus ossa....
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:31 pm

I wasn't trying to argue, but discuss.
If vinegar as an ingredient = vinegar based, then I stand corrected and must change the way I see the world of BBQ sauce.

Dan, I would have never considered SB a vinegar based sauce. When I eat Q with SB, vinegar is not what comes to mind.

I guess I see it the same way Papa Tom does. Strong vinegar taste and thin with little to no tomato product.

I retract my statement:

"But when it comes to Rudy's sauce, it has never, is not, and never will be considered a vinegar based bbq sauce IMHO"

We will just have to agree to disagree and add this to the same category with "fat side up or fat side down".

My apologies to Txngent and anyone else who may have been offended.

BTW, you all do know that the earth IS really flat and we never went to the moon right? :lol:
Charmglo gasser,

Git-er done
GIG EM
mb61162
Wrangler

Postby mb61162 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:51 pm

From the bottle - #1 ingredient is.....
....Tomato Puree from concentrate - I had to put my glasses on to see it was puree instead of paste. LOL

Second is High Fructose Corn Syrup
Third is Distilled Vinegar
then lots of other things that make up the spice blend and sauce mix.

It also has anchovies in it. Glad I can't taste that!
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:04 pm

Pony Express wrote:I wasn't trying to argue, but discuss.
If vinegar as an ingredient = vinegar based, then I stand corrected and must change the way I see the world of BBQ sauce.

Dan, I would have never considered SB a vinegar based sauce. When I eat Q with SB, vinegar is not what comes to mind.

I guess I see it the same way Papa Tom does. Strong vinegar taste and thin with little to no tomato product.

I retract my statement:

"But when it comes to Rudy's sauce, it has never, is not, and never will be considered a vinegar based bbq sauce IMHO"

We will just have to agree to disagree and add this to the same category with "fat side up or fat side down".

My apologies to Txngent and anyone else who may have been offended.

BTW, you all do know that the earth IS really flat and we never went to the moon right? :lol:

Me either, but I guess "they" have to call it somthin...maybe a blended style is more a appropriate description. Mine is certainly not like the east coast vinegar based sauces...but that's what I compete against.
Gator

txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:51 am

Pony Express wrote:We will just have to agree to disagree and add this to the same category with "fat side up or fat side down".

Taste great, or less filling? LOL. I too don't want a good discussion seem as a crap throwing contest. I think it is a play on words as far as the "base". I was just going by the industry label of classifications, not flavor. Either way, as I am 300#s and on a diet I will hit this analogy for my part of the thread.... "I am learning when to walk away from the table". LOL! :lol:

Let me keep this thread hijacked for a minute and maybe turn it more positive and informative...

Question, what exactly are the classifications of "bbq based sauce"?

I was thinking they are: Vinegar, Ketchup (tomato), and Mustard. Is that right?
Randy
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:41 am

Well that there is a whole nuther can 'o worms Randy...it depends on the contest but in general I see; tomato, vinegar, sugar, mustard (sometimes) and then fruit. If its a big contest they usually have mild and hot for each category + plus other specialty categories like Caribbean, jerk...and so on.

Recently I competed in a contest that had fresh (aka meat juice added) vs bottled. It can get confusing, might quick.
Gator

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”