Chipotle Mexican Grill Barbaco (R) wet rub

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Chipotle Mexican Grill Barbaco (R) wet rub

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:07 pm

Got this from the link Chuck posted earlier.

Source: Chef Kent Chambless, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Phoenix, Arizona

Barbacoa:
4 guajillo chiles
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ground cloves
10 allspice berries
1/3 cup Mexican oregano
12 sprigs fresh thyme
6 garlic cloves
1 Spanish onion, roughly chopped
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 (6 to 8-pound) beef roast
Salt and pepper
1 (2 pound) package dried avocado leaves *

Toast chiles, cover with boiling water in a deep bowl, and set aside for 20 minutes.

Grind cumin, cloves, allspice, and oregano in coffee grinder. Drain soaked chiles, puree in blender the chiles, ground spices, thyme, garlic, onion, vinegar and 1/2 cup of water. Process until smooth. Push mixture through a sieve, season roast with salt and pepper. Rub paste all over the meat. Arrange in a bowl and allow to marinate for 4 hours, refrigerated.

* Fresh avocado leaves are toxic, they must be dried to be used for cooking.

The recipe goes on to say lay 1/4 of the avocado leaves on the bottom of a pan, then the marinated roast, top with the remaining leaves. Seal tightly with foil and bake for a real long time.

I'm thinking this might make tasty wet rub for pulled chuck, but not sure about the leaves. Thinking they would surely burn or at least char in a pit. Ya'll think they are important in the grand scheme of things? Especially since I've never dried avocado leaves in a store.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:00 pm

Wow that sounds like a heckofa mix. Yeah I've never seen avocado leaves but then I've never looked for them either. Something I'll add here is that if you have never used Mexican oregano it is a lot spicier than the regular Italian stuff.
I had some BBQ pork down in the Yucatan that they wrapped in banana leaves and it was really good and tender. They took the meat after grilling and put a layer of leaves on top the clay cooker then wrapped the meat in another leaf and put it on top.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”