Penner Preserved Power

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Penner Preserved Power

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:30 pm

Thought I'd try my hand at dehydrating some Jalapenners. After I get them dried, I'll grind some up very fine and leave some intact to rehydrate in various dishes - - - I'm thinking that the ones that don't get fine ground should probably last a long time in the frig compared to fresh penners.
IMG_0001.JPG

I had to take them outside after about 10 minutes on the kitchen counter, the air was gettin intense :whiteflag: "as the Rubber Duck said to Pig Pen" - - - probably gonna be eight or more hours in the drying :dont:
IMG_0002.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: Penner Preserved Power

Postby ChileFarmer » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:08 pm

OUP, I dry and grind chiles all the time. Should work out just fine. I also smoke and dry some. Chile pequins are my favorite.CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:07 pm

CF, do you remove the seeds at any time or do you grind them also :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:34 pm

I freeze the wife's home grown chillies. Might have to look at buying a machine for doing the same as you.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:25 pm

been 6 hours at 145 and they are still soft and pliable so I may have to shut them down at bed time and then finish up tomorrow - - - I sure don't want to have to check them all night long :roll:
IMG_0003.JPG
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:41 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: been 22 hours in the dehydrator at 145, except for 8 hourse last night on 95 - - - :banghead: and they're still not dried :dont: Decided to bring them in the house and put all of them on one tray instead of the 3 that they started out on - - - guess they're drying after all - - - - the aroma is less toxic now so I'll finish them inside ?maybe?

I"m thinking that the oven might be better than the dehydrator for this process :scratch: :dont:
IMG_0004.JPG

Hey, Chili Farmer, any suggestions? or do I just need to be more patient : :D
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:50 pm

OUP, Jalapeno is a pretty thick chile thus lots of water. Be patient. I grind seeds and all. CF. :D

Lots of Sub folders to.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:25 pm

thanks, CF, :salut: they were still leathery when I decided to move them to the oven and finish at 170 - - - fingers crossed :dont:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:10 pm

I was using a dehydrator like yours and would let them go for two or three days, until they were crisp, then into the blender (careful don't smell the dust when you take the lid off) then into little bottles, (bought from sunburst bottle in CA. they sell to any one) still got several jars of Serranoes, Jalapenos some smoked and some not as I recall they are at least 10 years old, and still good, that year we had pepper plants over 6 feet tall, it was a banner year....never mind the dog she is 40 inches tall when sitting, check out the background....
Attachments
Morgan fresh hair cut 112304.JPG
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:53 pm

:tup: my patience is wearing thin - - - - gonna let them rest for tonight and then flip a coin :laughing7:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:39 pm

I used to let mine run nonstop, not sure if that is good or bad, would think that the continual drying would be good though, maybe somebody more experienced will check in on this...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:57 am

Well, they're done and it was ?fun? :dont:

When I turned the oven off last night they were still pliable and leathery but this morning they were crispy and snapped in half like a pretzel.
IMG_0005.JPG

So it was time to grind and ST's advice about the Penner Dust was well heeded but I still coughed and sneezed like I'd been snorting black pepper.
IMG_0008.JPG

Had enuff to fill this 4" bottle for my Oldest and then about half again left over for me. The entire process kept me from getting too bored but I think I'll just let Suckle Busters do my Texas Gun Powder from now on. :salut:
IMG_0009.JPG
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:17 am

OUP, looks like it turned out good. Thats what I do with my chile pequins, shaker on the table always. Wish you would of smoked a few really good smoked flavor. CF :D

Lots of Sub folders to.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:52 am

ChileFarmer wrote:OUP, looks like it turned out good. Thats what I do with my chile pequins, shaker on the table always. Wish you would of smoked a few really good smoked flavor. CF :D

thanks, CF, it sure tastes proper - - - wish you wouldn't have mentioned SMOKED :roll: - - - - now I guess I'm doomed for another batch of drying the smoked peppers :laughing7: :D :lol: I'll probably slip some in during the next low and slow cook :salut:
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:51 pm

Thats an awful lot of work!! I just order Sucklebusters Texas gun powder!! :angryfire: :lol:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”