Roasted Hatch Salsa - Help !

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Roasted Hatch Salsa - Help !

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:15 pm

I got the notion to make some roasted Salsa and since it's Hatch Season, I picked up some Hatch, Serrano, Jalapeno, Romas, Own-Yawns and Garlic. I forgot to get Cilantro and Cumin but I'll pick that up soon.

:?: My question is this: :?: can I put the Hatch, Serranos, Jalapenos, Own-Yawns and Garlic all on my Grill and just roast everything :?: OR should I limit the roasting to the Peppers only :?: :dont: :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Roasted Hatch Salsa - Help !

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:18 pm

OH, one more question: Can I just use the Pellet Pooper and, if I do, can I forget about the smoke and just roast the stuff :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:37 pm

I roast everything but this would be a good one for egghead to pop in on if he's around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:23 pm

I can't do anything until Tuesday or Wednesday so hopefully Egg and others will jump in :tup:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:45 pm

I'm of no use oup, but I'm gunna try it this summer.we got tomato seeds growing from scratch ATM. That salsa looks so good. 10 days from spring here.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:55 am

I have roasted all the ingredients for my salsa with the exception of the cilantro. Turned out great, a whole different flavor profile than just sweating em down. Go for it Boss.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:59 am

thanks, Pal, I think that's what I'll do - - - - gonna just make a small batch at first and then decide if I want to do any more jars. :salut:
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:09 am

Roast all except the herb. Gives it a more complex taste, particularly the garlic.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks Y'all, they are on the Pellet Pooper with Apple pellets and I hope to start getting ?some? color change within 3 hours. If I don't then I'm upping the temp until the sun goes down. I may have to add some more maters after I get it chopped and mixed but that may be necessary to cool it down anyhow :dont:

Sure do love these Pelletizers :tup:

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:09 pm

I also may add Tomatillos to help cool it down but they won't be roasted unless I chunk'em in the Oven tomorrow :dont: I'm hoping these Hatch aren't as Caliente as some have been getting :whiteflag:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Not sure how they will do smoked…I roast mine direct over lump and get a char on them.

Let us know…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:26 pm

will do, I am a "Babe in the Woods" on this one and it may end up Trash can salsa :dont:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Fast char brother, if you smoke em too long there wont be anything left to them. They will dry out, you are just looking to enhance the flavor with the char. Just my .02 though.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:57 pm

thanks, Pal - - - all I'm really wanting is a smoky flavor :dont:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:33 pm

OK, some were getting too dry so I panicked and pulled everything - - - - after they cool I'm gonna start chopping and mixing with fingers crossed. More later unless it ends up a FAIL - - - they sho do smell guud tho :dont:

IMG_0070.JPG

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”