Looking for help! BBQ sauce

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

SmokerMike7715
Wrangler

Looking for help! BBQ sauce

Postby SmokerMike7715 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:23 pm

Very new to smoking and I’ve been wanting to make my own bbq sauce. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out with some ideas.

Things I don’t like is a super runny sauce but I don’t want a really thick sauce either. Nothing really tart/vinegar tasting. Also don’t want it super sweet.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Looking for help! BBQ sauce

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Howdy, Mike, and Welcome - - - there are so many variables with Q sauce like fruit flavors, spices and what are you gonna use it on - - - there are lots of Youtube Recipes out there so Good Luck in your quest :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
SmokerMike7715
Wrangler

Postby SmokerMike7715 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome oldusedparts.
I’m looking for something to use on my pulled pork, pulled chicken and ribs at the moment. Lookmg for something that’s kid friendly in the spicy area, nothing really fruity. I bought a bbq at Kroger it’s private selection brand Texas inspired bbq sauce it’s a bit to spicy for the kids but it’s the consistency that I like.

I did look up a Texas style sauce on YouTube and it turned out horrible.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:09 pm

You may not have picked up on it yet but this forum is sponsored by a spice/ sauce company.
They make my favorites hands down, click on the SuckleBusters logo in the upper right corner and check out the goods.
My only sauce favorite not wearing the SB label is Gates and I consider it a Texas style sauce but it is from KC kinda local and hard to find in Texas and probably impossible to find in GA.
I no longer make my own sauces and stay with the SB stuff. You might want to ask what folks use for their PP, ribs & chicken.
My favorites are the Honey and Peach they are both killer on ribs and good on most everything.
Try the rubs, they are all good and get some Gold Dust for a table shake.
I know I sound like I gushing over this stuff but honestly I'm not on the payroll just a real fan.
tarde venientibus ossa....
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:04 am

^^^^^^^^^^

True Story :)

Yup, Peach, Honey and Chipotle
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:24 am

I've also given up making my own sauce but I do enjoy taking a commercial sauce and adding to it. The real trick is to log your changes just in case you stumble on the right combination of ingredients. One difficulty I found when making my own was the viscosity level. I never could cook things down to the same point every single time.... some days too thin - others too thick but mostly too thick.

I'll echo others with regards to SuckleBusters sauces - you really ought to try them once before moving on. :chef:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
SmokerMike7715
Wrangler

Postby SmokerMike7715 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks guys. I will deff check out suckle busters.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”