Tomato relish

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Tomato relish

Postby Russ » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:54 pm

I just love this stuff on cold meat or in a sammy with meat, I've tried about 4 times to make it but ultimate fails, my son asked me to try his neighbours relish and man is if good. He told me how he did it. I made my first batch 10 days ago and man is it good. Wife picked 3 kgs tomatoes yesterday from her garden. So this is how I made it.
Boil 3 kgs tomatoes chopped up with 8 large onions chopped up and 500 ml malt vinegar. boil with 4 tablespoons salt and 5 cups sugar. Then in a bowl mix 10 teaspoons curry powder 10 teaspoons mustard powder and 10 teaspoons cornflour, mix with extra vinegar and add after relish has cooked about an hour.
It should look like this.
image.jpeg

This is before the mustard mix is added. I will put pics up later when we bottle it up.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Tomato relish

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:57 pm

Looks lishious Pard :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:04 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Looks lishious Pard :tup: :salut: :cheers:

My nana and my mum made it but I never got the recipe, don't know how that happened but I'm as happy as a sandboy now.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:45 pm

if you removed those powdered ingredients and replaced them with some garlic, coriander and jalapenos you'd be close to our Salsa :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:11 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:if you removed those powdered ingredients and replaced them with some garlic, coriander and jalapenos you'd be close to our Salsa :salut:

Similar eh? I eat a lot of this in the same way you love your salsa. I'm making salsa later on as well. I've bottled 20 kgs of curried onions btw. Another 20 to go. So busy in Jan and February for me.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”