Old Rub- should I use it?

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

david brace USER_AVATAR
david brace
Wrangler

Old Rub- should I use it?

Postby david brace » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:52 am

I just read a thread about a brisket, and it got me started thinking to review my rubs that I have.

Someone sent me in an old forum spice exchange some Salt Lick rub that I was thinking to use on the next brisket.

But my wife reminded me that it's probably 5 or 6 years old. Never been opened and in a spice rack away from heat and the sun...although not away in a closet. So it has seen just room temperature heat.

What are the opinions- Use it or not?

Thanks.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Old Rub- should I use it?

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:50 pm

My $0.02, since it hasn't been opened would be to open it and then do a nose and tongue test. Then go from there - - - let us know how things go because I'm gonna have that same problem if I don't get to cooking larger meats more often. For the last two years both our Families have blessed me with seasonings galore. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:09 pm

Mr. Brace, I'm with OUP check it out and see what it looks like. I've had a few bottles that sat on my shelf as well and the turn off I had was the color change and it was very clumpy. I tossed those bottles. If your interested in that Salt lick rub, my local supermarket sells it, id be happy to send you a bottle of some fresh stuff.

Ric G.
david brace USER_AVATAR
david brace
Wrangler

Postby david brace » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:07 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:Mr. Brace, I'm with OUP check it out and see what it looks like. I've had a few bottles that sat on my shelf as well and the turn off I had was the color change and it was very clumpy. I tossed those bottles. If your interested in that Salt lick rub, my local supermarket sells it, id be happy to send you a bottle of some fresh stuff.

Ric G.

Thanks for the offer...I might take you up on it. Let me see by the weekend (if the rain allows). I'm gonna try it and let you know. I don't see any clumping when I turn the bottle around...no little cobweb babies in there. :dont:
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:07 am

I got to go along with what has already been said. No need in taking a chance with the rub if your not sure if it's any good or not, :dont: , rub is a lot cheaper than a brisket.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 am

The SLR seems to be a salt pepper, cayenne mixture; I’m gonna bet it’s fine if it’s sealed. It’s a little spicy however
rexster314 USER_AVATAR
rexster314
Rustler

Postby rexster314 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:27 am

I've used rubs before that are several years old. Other than losing some of the potency of the spices there should be nothing wrong with it. Clumpy? Hah, pour it out into a small mesh strainer and use a spoon to force it through into a bowl. Now if it's brick hard, then it's time to toss it.
Weber EX6 Smokefire
Masterbuilt 1050 GF
Masterbuilt 560 GF
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 8 burner 88,000 btu Gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 am

Rambo wrote:The SLR seems to be a salt pepper, cayenne mixture; I’m gonna bet it’s fine if it’s sealed. It’s a little spicy however

My thought as well. In the past I've made a large batch of rub to use in the future. The cayenne took over and really messed up the flavor profile, rendering it useless to me.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:08 am

GTR wrote:
Rambo wrote:The SLR seems to be a salt pepper, cayenne mixture; I’m gonna bet it’s fine if it’s sealed. It’s a little spicy however

My thought as well. In the past I've made a large batch of rub to use in the future. The cayenne took over and really messed up the flavor profile, rendering it useless to me.

yeah, The salt Lick Rub was too spicy( for me) on brisket but I don't mind it on ribs. It was given to me. I really like the SB's 1836, SPG, & Hog Waller.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”