Question about which salt to use.

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Delaware Smoker
Bandolero

Question about which salt to use.

Postby Delaware Smoker » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:07 am

Well,I bought five T bone steaks on sale.I haven't grilled any steaks,since I got into serious grilling.I really want these beautiful steaks,to come out great.With the different salts on the market,[kosher,sea,reg,etc.etc.etc.],is there one salt that would be better to use?I'm just going to use,s&p,or should i sprinkle sum garlic powder on them?Thanks in advance for your help.
Bill
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:25 am

I just use the that regular old course "kosher" salt...

works for me!
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:43 am

If you are just going to salt & pepper your steaks, kosher salt is good. If you're going to mix a rub you could try some sea salt, gray salt or black salt. Go easy on the black & gray salt until you get used to them.

I got some from an Indian (from India) at work.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:18 pm

I like to use sea salt (coarse grind from Hawaii). I use it on all my grilling and bbq plus almost all of my other cooking and seasoning. Can't say sea salt is better but it worked for me for over 55 years! 8)

a hui hou,
honu41
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:54 pm

I like Kosher myself as well with some fresh cracked black pepper
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:33 pm

SteerCrazy wrote:I like Kosher myself as well with some fresh cracked black pepper

Ditto 8)

There is something about the size of the salt crystal as it relates to dry measurements where as the smaller the crystal, the more "faces" per measure meaning it's salltier. Maybe the other way around. Seems I read somewhere that the smart fellers weigh it instead of tsp or TBSP.

I'm not standing on firm ground here, just trying to remember where and when I read that. If it comes to me, I'll pass it along.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:17 pm

I use NaCl sometimes NaCl +I. But I tend to agree with Dats. I have switched grinds and oversalted so weighing would be prudent.
Also if you are tempted to use MSG especially at a comp be aware that MSG enhances saltiness (experience speaking).
tarde venientibus ossa....
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:18 pm

This is a handy conversion chart for salt use. :D

If you want to use kosher salt for table salt, multiply the table salt quantity by 1.5.
bullet

1 teaspoon table salt = 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
bullet

1 1/2 teaspoon table salt = 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
bullet

2 teaspoons table salt = 3 teaspoons kosher salt
bullet

If you want to use table salt for kosher salt, multiply the kosher salt quantity by 2/3
bullet

1 teaspoon kosher salt = 2/3 teaspoon table salt
bullet

1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt = 1 teaspoon table salt
bullet

2 teaspoon kosher salt = 1 1/3 teaspoon table salt
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:28 pm

honu41 wrote:I like to use sea salt (coarse grind from Hawaii). I use it on all my grilling and bbq plus almost all of my other cooking and seasoning. Can't say sea salt is better but it worked for me for over 55 years! 8)

a hui hou,

Hey Honu! I'm in Maui right now. Woudl there be a particular type of salt that is your favorite from Hawaii that I should look for? Gonna bring me home some Kona coffee and might as well bring home some salt!

Thx,
'James.
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:12 pm

Aloha James... go to any market and ask for "Hawaiian salt". Packed in see-thru bags and comes in several sizes. It is a coarse grind. There is also the Red variety called "Alae", it is a bit more expensive and gets its color from the clay pits that the seawater is evaporated in. Just get the white variety.

When you buy coffee, they sell a blend with only 10% pure Kona coffee blended with coffee from other parts of the world. Pure 100% Kona coffee is 2 to 3 times more costly than the blends. Check out weekly ads for "Longs Drugs" or the super markets for the best deals. Stay away from the stores in Hotels or the airport.

I found a seasoning in HI in April and it is available at Costco. Don't know if there is a Costco on Maui. It is called "Hawaiian salt seasonings" and comes in a 32 oz jar. Markets may have it too.

Ask your contacts there if they know where a "huli-huli" chicken sale is going on. These are usually a fundraiser for a church, school or club. go check it out, may be a viable fundraiser for you folks.

Lattahs... a hui hou,
honu41

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”