Chili Powder.

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Chili Powder.

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:38 pm

This from the Cooks Illustrated web site.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastete ... =L9NA3BA00

Good primer on Chili Powder and later on a few surprizes in their tast rankings. :stir:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:11 am

That was interesting. I like Spice Island spices (most), and when I did a lot more chili cookoffs, I used Gebhardts as one of my powders. Just goes to show that people's taste varies from region to region, and even from person to person.
My favorite powder is from Pendery's, but I won't say what it is!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:21 am

Y'd think you just committed treason by some folks reaction if you ask what the brand of chili powder they use. :flamer: My brand wasn't listed, its sold at the ethnic marts. To me it tastes pretty good, and it is a whole lot CHEAPER than brands listed in the above mentioned study :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:03 pm

My chili has never been just about the chili powder probably true of a lot of folks. So choose a good one and then make it taste good.
I did buy some chili powder from back east though that I could not use man paprika has more flavor than that stuff.
tarde venientibus ossa....
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:23 pm

I actually like Gebhardts and Penderys Original has a nice deep rich flavor (although I prefer not to use a product with MSG).

Guess I'll have to try the Top Hat blend.

Pendreys has a couple more flavors I really like - Ft. Worth Light, Puebla and San Antonio Red..oh yeah I hear the Sucklebusters brand is pretty good too, butI didnt see them listed. :wink:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:42 pm

We've always used Gebhardts as far back as I can remember... I've never actually tried any from Pendry's etc. I still need to try the Sucklebuster's version though.
Texan in Exile
Pilgrim

Re: Chili Powder.

Postby Texan in Exile » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:15 pm

I haven't played around with various brands very often... I usually just make my own.

I heat a cast iron skillet, add dried chiles (any type will do... should be in the supermarket, if not go to an ethnic store) and cumin seed... once the cumin seed roasts (you will smell it) add it to a blender with paprika and garlic powder... you can toss in other powders or salt if you desire.

I think it makes a fairly significant difference, simply because the cumin is basically at its peak flavor... it lasts for a few months, but is best to use that day.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”