What do you use for competition?

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Glasgow Greg
Pilgrim

What do you use for competition?

Postby Glasgow Greg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:14 pm

DaHorns wrote:
JaCK2U2 wrote:On one of the other forums I visit, there was a question as to whether you use homemade or commercial rubs and marinades for competitions. I was wondering how it it in Texas. With the variety of products available, what is your preference?

I use a rub I purchase for my ribs and brisket. I used to use a purchased rub for my chicken but have created a rub I'm gonna try this year.

I have a question for y'all as well, kinda a piggyback on JaCK's question. Do any of you guys inject your competition briskets with anything? There is a guy over on the Smoke Ring who sells a powder that you mix with water and inject your brisket prior to going in the pit. I was wondering if this is worth looking into. I went last season without it, and was happy with my results, just wondering if its worth the extra $30.00 for the 5# bag.

Dahorns i have absolutely no BBQ knowledge, very little anyway but im learning!

i am quite an experienced "classic" cook though and from my experience injecting your meat really works! i would suggest trying beef stock or possibly beef gravy to see the results. only thing is i probably wouldnt inject it until it was finished cooking or maybe do both but certainly once its finished!
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: What do you use for competition?

Postby 3 star redneck » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:47 pm

Yes all my rubs (all 4 different) are custom blended, and yes I do inject all my briskets and pork butts for comp and catering... :wink: :lol:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: What do you use for competition?

Postby BluDawg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:43 pm

I mix my own rubs and injections, on my briskets I inject them with McCormicks Aus Jus hydrated with coffee, some Worcestershire sauce and some rub.Pork butts get an apple juice, dijon mustard and acv injection, when I inject them which is rarely.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”