60 day dry aged brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

fishwater_98 USER_AVATAR
fishwater_98
Pilgrim

60 day dry aged brisket

Postby fishwater_98 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:08 am

So I cooked a brisket yesterday that I had been dry aging for 60 days, 62 days to be exact. Got a 15.6 pound prime brisket at Costco, after the aging process it weighed 11.36 pounds,and after trimming all the dried leathery outside off it weighed 7.58 pounds. So pretty much a 50 percent loss in weight and trim. But holy crap, the color of this dried brisket was the most amazing red I have seen (picture doesn’t do it justice) and the fat melted in your hands like prosciutto fat, and it smelled great, extra beefy and sweet. Not one single hint of spoilage. Seasoned with my regular seasoning and put on the pit. After about 3 hours the probe read 150 and I wrapped in butcher paper and put it in the oven at 250, I spent good money and time in this thing and wasn’t willing to fight the smoker and possibly ruin this beauty. When the probe read 190 I took it out and put in a styrofoam cooler to rest for about 2-3 hours. Possibly the best brisket I have eatin, the flavor was like nothing I had before and the fat was smooth and buttery. Not adding the before picture because I’m pretty sure everyone knows what a raw uncooked brisket looks like. I also made pulled pork, not pictured, and although it was very good too it didn’t get the trophy for the day.
Attachments
BB1780AA-1554-4F37-974C-ED02D79090C2.jpeg
8CBBF346-1E4D-465B-813E-BAA4F3BFDD75.jpeg
3B0BED35-88B7-4FAE-A131-A472B4D6958B.jpeg
EDAB8A97-CC75-4B7B-B02F-BEB2494040D5.jpeg
3985DC9E-FF6D-48D2-891F-42D33F281627.jpeg
instagram: me_llamo_blane
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Re: 60 day dry aged brisket

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:42 am

glad you had a good success..
do tell me and those following, on the aging, did you leave the brisket in the open unwrapped on a rack? what temperature did you use? do you have your own fridge for the aging process? good pictures :salut:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
fishwater_98 USER_AVATAR
fishwater_98
Pilgrim

Postby fishwater_98 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Spacetrucker I used a product from https://umaidry.com
They are these bags you put meat into for aging and you don’t need any special gadgets, Temps or tricks. They somehow let moisture out and prevent air from getting in. They are kind of like vacuum seal bags. We have a fridge in the garage I let it sit in at regular fridge temp. My first time using the bags and they were great. Can also do whole ribeye loins and whole strip loins. In the past I had a converted fridge with a special gadgets, humidifiers and what not hooked up to it for curing meats and sausages, spent a lot of time, money and frustration on that :censor: fridge. These bags are almost idiot proof, which is good for me! My wife and I are already trying to figure out what we wanna age next.
instagram: me_llamo_blane
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:26 pm

very cool, thanks for the post. I have looked into the cheese aging process and all the associated humidifiers, temp controllers and misc. gadgets and finally decided it just is too specialized for the average person to mess with, and have a job also... so I have just been sitting back watching what the others do...
thanks for the update...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:23 pm

This is fantastic! I had contemplated dry aging a brisket before, just never went through with it. Glad to see what to expect. Thanks for sharing!
(Insert witty signature here)
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:33 am

I want to dry age brisket as well to make and try a dry aged burger and smoke a brisket too. Nicely done.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
East Texas Q
Pilgrim

Postby East Texas Q » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:51 pm

fishwater_98 wrote:So I cooked a brisket yesterday that I had been dry aging for 60 days, 62 days to be exact. Got a 15.6 pound prime brisket at Costco, after the aging process it weighed 11.36 pounds,and after trimming all the dried leathery outside off it weighed 7.58 pounds. So pretty much a 50 percent loss in weight and trim. But holy crap, the color of this dried brisket was the most amazing red I have seen (picture doesn’t do it justice) and the fat melted in your hands like prosciutto fat, and it smelled great, extra beefy and sweet. Not one single hint of spoilage. Seasoned with my regular seasoning and put on the pit. After about 3 hours the probe read 150 and I wrapped in butcher paper and put it in the oven at 250, I spent good money and time in this thing and wasn’t willing to fight the smoker and possibly ruin this beauty. When the probe read 190 I took it out and put in a styrofoam cooler to rest for about 2-3 hours. Possibly the best brisket I have eatin, the flavor was like nothing I had before and the fat was smooth and buttery. Not adding the before picture because I’m pretty sure everyone knows what a raw uncooked brisket looks like. I also made pulled pork, not pictured, and although it was very good too it didn’t get the trophy for the day.

Aaaah ya
The Wife and I have been getting into dry aged Ribeye that can be purchased at select HEB's. If ya pay ahead they'll age a hunk of primal of your choice.
I've since bought a full size fridge,sitting in my entryway waiting for the back to ease up so I can complete my own locker.
Have the temp and humidity control that bypasses the fridge thermo and controls the humidifier,the UV light and some salt blocks.
I just cant get into the UMAI bags,I like the traditional metods.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”