Birthday Party Cookin'

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Birthday Party Cookin'

Postby Scott P » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:16 am

Our twins turned eight and their birthday party is tomorrow. We're having it at a local brewery that we often visit. The kids love the place and the adults will have something else to do besides watch the kids bounce in bouncy houses or play video games. Right now, we are expecting 40 something adults plus a bunch of kids (each of their classes has 22 kids that were invited). The kids are getting pizza delivered. The adults, on the other hand, have me. Right now, I am planning on the following:

Pulled Pork - 9 lb pork shoulder
Shredded Beef - 7 lbs of chuck shoulder
Pork Belly Burnt Ends - Whole pork belly from Costco. Cut up how much I think I will need.
Meatballs - 60, 1.5 oz each, homemade
Jalapeno Poppers - 30 Jalapenos, so 60 poppers cut into 2-3 portions ea.
Mac and Cheese - 9x13 pan

I also have about 6 dozen wings I can also cook up. My biggest fear when hosting anything is running out of food. I know most parents aren't going to expect a spread of food since most birthday parties for kids are just pizza and cake. It's also at 1:30 on a Sunday, so some might stop for lunch first. Still, I am trying to estimate enough for everyone. For the experts, how does this look so far? Should I add more?

Yes, I'll also try to post in process cooking pictures in this thread too.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
GTR
Bandolero

Re: Birthday Party Cookin'

Postby GTR » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:27 pm

Proteins look adequate. Mac&Cheese may be a little light. Jalapeños are about right, many won’t touch them. Looks like you should cover 40 adults.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:36 pm

This is when RSVP's are nice brother.
22 kids in each class equals 88 adults give or take.
If this is just a pick and grab a plate you are probably short on the Mac & cheese I would say a full pan or two halves. Jalapenos look good.
You could turn the pork belly burnt ends into sliders that goes a long ways.
I would say another pork butt or shoulder before the wings.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:07 pm

The RSVPs put it at about 40-50 adults, plus kiddos. We didn't get a lot of late ones today, so I think we'll hold steady. Pork butt goes far, but just doesn't seem as popular as brisket. Luckily, I'm not putting brisket out. At $4.29/lb at Costco, that would be insane. I think the shredded chuck shoulder is going to work fine since people will take tortilla sized portions. If all else fails, I have slices of cooked brisket and its juice frozen in Foodsaver bags that will be warmed up in the sous vide. I've added some Burnt End Baked beans to the menu, so that should help as filler. I could also make a second pan of mac and cheese. I've never really run out of food for anything I've hosted before.

If I do run out, the late arrivers can hit up the food truck that will be there and I'll buy them a beer.

Pictures coming soon of the food started tonight, pork butt and pork belly burnt ends.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:00 pm

I bet being at a brewery you are more likely to get both parents. I know at the bounce house place I’d immediately tell the wife she needed to take the kid because I have a previous commitment happy birthday to your kiddos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:27 am

How did it turn out Scott??

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”