Whole Hog

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Roscoe
Pilgrim

Postby Roscoe » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:00 pm

I don't know the cooking details, but know a couple of folks that have BBQ piglets from 10-25lb live weight. They all say the same thing....awesome eating. So far, I have not had the heart ot shoot one........yet! :lol:
It ain't much of story without pics!
hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Postby HOF » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:35 pm

Dsorgnzd wrote:If it's that small, put it on a stick, dip it in batter, and deep fry it like a corn dog. :)

Now that's funny! :lol:
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.
CoyoteBlues
Rustler

Postby CoyoteBlues » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:40 pm

Hey smokin...

Don't forget to put plenty of some type of fat on the pig...I take it this is a wild little piggy :lol:

One that size ...we will rub it up good and let it set in a ice chest for at least 24 hours...(put the ice in baggies so the pig dosen't sit in water)

Get your smoker maintained at 225 and then put the pig on to smoke naked for about an hour....then add a bunch of bacon ends in the belly and toothpick some on the outside of the hams and shoulders...or you can inject 'em....wrap it up in good foil and let it go for about 5 more hours...check it to see if its ready... if not go another hour or until a ham will pull out of the joint...but don't check it too often....just have to go by your gut instincts....

You can add onions , peppers, potatoes, corn on the cobb...you get the picture inside the belly too...mmmm good :D

DATsBBQ....you never heard of catching wild pigs in traps???

Gator...gonna have to respectfully disagree with the size of the pig...never had a bad one yet...and the #400 can taste as good as the #40...its all in the way you treat it when its harvested :wink:

Godd eatin' boys.... :D
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:07 pm

CoyoteBlues,

Just wondering if it's a live trap like they catch bears with, or an iron ankle buster thing? Never had a wild boar, heard of people shooting them though but never trapping one.

Once in Germany on Reforger (back in the day) I pitched my pup tent across a tiny trail. In the middle on the night a wild boar took issue with my claim on the real estate. Made for an interest 15 minutes. Scare it away with a flaming book of GI Matches. They didn't trust us with live ammo in those days. :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:53 pm

We're getting a little off topic here, wild pigs to Nato. Since I started the drift I figure I'll end it. :D Off topic has been split & moved to General Topics under War Stories

So how do you bait the wild pig traps anyhow?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Postby HOF » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:12 pm

Dats, the guys down here use the big cages with a door that drops down. In some areas of the South wild hogs have become a real problem. They are prolific breeders and do a lot of damage to crops and land. No joking, they'll destroy a field in a night or two rooting for food.

It's not uncommon to have several hogs at a time caught in a trap.

I've not had the opportunity to eat one yet, but I'm working on it. :)
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.
CoyoteBlues
Rustler

Postby CoyoteBlues » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:44 pm

Your right DATsBBQ...

I started a thread in the General Topics forum...got any questions just ask away :lol:
smokin USER_AVATAR
smokin
Pilgrim

Postby smokin » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:20 pm

[quote="DATsBBQ"]CoyoteBlues,

Just wondering if it's a live trap like they catch bears with, or an iron ankle buster thing? Never had a wild boar, heard of people shooting them though but never trapping one.

Thanks for the tips CoyoteBlues ...and DATsBBQ the trap is like the one he described. I don't have any pics of it as it is not mine. It is on a coworkers parents land. You should come down and try the other way of hunting them besides traps and guns. There are guys that have catch dogs that will keep the hog occupied while you run in and kill it with a knife!!! I have'nt tried that because I figure at my age I would trip and fall on the knife. :lol: :lol: :lol:
COMFORTABLY NUMB
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:42 pm

smokin wrote:
DATsBBQ wrote:CoyoteBlues,

Thanks for the tips CoyoteBlues ...and DATsBBQ the trap is like the one he described. I don't have any pics of it as it is not mine. It is on a coworkers parents land. You should come down and try the other way of hunting them besides traps and guns. There are guys that have catch dogs that will keep the hog occupied while you run in and kill it with a knife!!! I have'nt tried that because I figure at my age I would trip and fall on the knife. :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, to get back on topic I would play Ranbow, dress out the oinker and stick him/her in a pit with pinewood, er, mesquite and foil foil at 160*. Just trying to get the Lone Star Method down in case I come across a wild pig up here in the north lands :D {NOTE, NEED MORE EMOTICONS}

I'm good with a knife, not as good as I once was..... :lol:

Is wild piggy as good as domestic? Ever since I read Lord of the Flies I've wanted to cook a wild pig. To hades with the social moral of the story, it's a pork fat thing!
Deputy Dave

smokin USER_AVATAR
smokin
Pilgrim

Postby smokin » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:54 pm

It's every bit as good in my opinion. Usually just have to add some fat for sausage or whatever.There is a debate among some about the big boars being edible. The big boars have a smell that some say they can't get out of the meat. The last boar I shot was in a maze field, weighed about 180 -200 lbs. and the meat was fine.
COMFORTABLY NUMB
Roscoe
Pilgrim

Postby Roscoe » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:54 am

I took a 160lb sow last weekend that was neither nursing nor carrying. She had a 3/4"-1" layer of fat everywhere. Ribs & a bacon wrapped strap on the grill earlier in the week and 3 pound boneless roast fixed "pot roast style" in the oven today....as good as any "purchased" pork I've had. :mrgreen:

I saved 1Olbs of good fat & "bacon" and 3 whole quarters off her to mix with venison for breakfast, link, & summer sausage.

At least in our neck of the woods, the only time I have seen a real lean hog was when I harvested a sow that had 7 or 8 large piglets that looked to be on the tail end of nursing. They had really drug her down physically and there was virtually no fat to be found.
It ain't much of story without pics!
LOW-n-SLOW
Pilgrim

Postby LOW-n-SLOW » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:06 am

I cover my whole pigs in bacon, and put a wild game rub on them. I spray them down with apple juice often.....results are nothing less than spectacular. I do the same thing for javelina as well.
CoyoteBlues
Rustler

Postby CoyoteBlues » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:42 am

Never tried the javalina thing....

Did ya see we have a wild game thread now....too cool...thanks Gator 8)
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:46 am

You are welcome, just want to make sure evybody has a place to talk about their 'que!
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
LOW-n-SLOW
Pilgrim

Postby LOW-n-SLOW » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:20 pm

CoyoteBlues wrote:Never tried the javalina thing....

Did ya see we have a wild game thread now....too cool...thanks Gator 8)

Better than wild hog.................I hunt em every spring.......they don't last long once they get home and near a smoker. The wife will even eat it.

I am glad to see the wild game thread. I prolly eat more wild game than just about anything else.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”