SMoked Salt ?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

xxfubarxx
Rustler

SMoked Salt ?

Postby xxfubarxx » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:43 am

I swear I saw or read something awhile back on one of the 3 message boards I hit for smoking salt. I figure it would be best with a strong wood so it would take the flavor better. Anyone done or tried this ? I've seen it in bottles before but never made my own. Something about adding salt to a steak or something like that has a smoked flavor just makes me happy. I'm guessing maybe a pie pan with Kosher or rock salt layered thin it. You can always grind the rock salt. Does salt melt at a certain temp ? If it does you can still grind it I guess after it cools. Any input ? I'm also wanting to try smoked oysters but figure it would be a cold smoke and in Texas thats kinda difficult from what I understand. Had a smoked oyster Luis at Sams Boat and some spinach artichoke dip. I'd like to smoke them and put the dip ontop of them on the 1/2 shell. Maybe even the cream cheese/spinach spread on them.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:26 am

xx, I saw a TV program of a guy doing it. He was low smoking it (200? I think) using hickory and had the salt set on foil. I would prolly use on of those aluminum chaffing pans. He used hickory on the show. It looked easy. He did a lot of turning and as I recall it took quite a long cook to get it set in...maybe someone else has tried it.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:17 am

I know a few people who use smoked salt......never tried it or used it myself but I've heard you can oversmoke it and it doesn't have a good flavor if it's over smoked. Let us know if you decide to do it and if it's worth the time :D
J-Bar-H John

Smoked Salt

Postby J-Bar-H John » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:07 pm

I think smoked salt is the best thing out there for getting a little smoke flavor into foods that won't spend time in the smoker. fill a pie pan 3/4 full with salt and put in the smoker when it is running. Every time you check your meat stir up the salt a little. 4 hours later transfer it into a mason jar and you are good to go. Oh and salt melts at about 900 degrees so the smoker is pretty safe.
xxfubarxx
Rustler

Postby xxfubarxx » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:51 am

TY, but how thick do you put the salt in the pie pan ? If you stir it I guess you can do it about 1/4" or so. I was gonna use rock salt and put it in a grinder. But I keep forgetting to put it in the smoker when I cook. I need tie a note to a string on the handle so I remember. I figure rock salt isn't expensive and if it doesn't work..It's still salt.
J-Bar-H John

Try Kosher Salt

Postby J-Bar-H John » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:19 pm

I'd open it up to others, but I think Kosher salt is the way to go because it has so much surface area and you don't have to grind it up. Also, I am not sure that Rock Salt is as pure as the other salts because it is usually not consumed but used to do a job like clear a sidewalk or bring the freezing temperature of water down. Just a thought. And 1/4 to 1/2" is just about right. Like most of the things we do as Q'rs, it is pretty forgiving so if the first time doesn't work out you can just chunk it and try next time.
spice USER_AVATAR
Spice
Pilgrim

Postby Spice » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:59 am

I use Hickory Salt all of the time. Even in comps. I don't make it but my Spice supplier has it readily available.

Spice
Spicewine Ironworks
Quality Smokers, Sauces & Spices
www.spicewineironworks.com
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:24 am

I did this last week, ¼ or so of kosher salt in a foil pan, shook it a few times. It was on for about 2 hrs on 225.

Put it in some guacamole that night…. It was a huge hit. Our guest asked what we did to add the smoke. They kept going on and on, so I sent them home with some to shut them up.

I plan to try it in salad dressing, and meats that go in oven,
YankeeQ
Pilgrim

Postby YankeeQ » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:39 pm

Smoking Salt is pretty easy...you just want to make sure you are not doing it in a humid envirment...ie. take the water pan out of the WSM..a single layer in a pan..and a few hours of smoke.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”