Recommendations for chicken (smoking)

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Recommendations for chicken (smoking)

Postby antaean7 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:17 pm

I have a few recipes I normally use for chicken, but I wanted to see if anyone had some great ideas. I will be cooking for about 16-20 people this weekend. I will prepare 2-3 slabs of Ribs ( have a great receipe for them). For the fire I will be using a coal base, with Pecan, and Apple chips.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Re: Recommendations for chicken (smoking)

Postby SteerCrazy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:58 pm

antaean7 wrote:I have a few recipes I normally use for chicken, but I wanted to see if anyone had some great ideas. I will be cooking for about 16-20 people this weekend. I will prepare 2-3 slabs of Ribs ( have a great receipe for them). For the fire I will be using a coal base, with Pecan, and Apple chips.

I like to split whole chickens in half and smoke them until the thigh reaches 175*. I put a good mustard slather on the skin then rub it down with some kind of poultry rub. For whole, split chickens this will take about 3 hours or so, smoked. Once the thigh reaches 175* I put the chickens on the grill, direct over hot coals, skin side down. This will crisp up the skin and cook the thigh to 180*. Some people find thighs alone smoke well, legs smoke well too. Make sure you get em with the skin on. Smoking will keep the skin soft so if you want to crisp it up, fire up the grill (gas or charcoal) and allow the grill to bring the chicken up to proper temp and to crisp the chicken. Smoking will make a nice brownish, golden color on the skin.
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:12 pm

I have never tried a Mustard slather. By that do you mean you just coat the chicken with a mustard? I guess you just pick a mustard of choice by flavor?
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:43 pm

My wife brought home a wasabi mustard, I wonder what that would taste like on a chicken. Maybe I'll give that a go this weekend at the Round Rock cookoff we are cooking in.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:52 pm

I do about the same as SC does. :D I use leg quarters and plain old yellow mustard and rub. :D You won't taste the yellow mustard, it will just hold the rub on better. :D :D
Jim
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:16 pm

If you can not taste the Mustard, then why use it? It sounds like it would leave a good flavor.When I cook, I use Olive oil to hold the rub on, I feel like it holds in moisture and/or adds to it. Either way it turns out really good.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:18 pm

I find that bacon slices across the breast of any bird during the cook will keep the breast moist so not too worry about have underdone dark meat or dry white meat. It's a pork fat thing 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:20 pm

antaean7 wrote:If you can not taste the Mustard, then why use it? It sounds like it would leave a good flavor.When I cook, I use Olive oil to hold the rub on, I feel like it holds in moisture and/or adds to it. Either way it turns out really good.

:tup: :drumnana: :blues: :tup:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
xxfubarxx
Rustler

Postby xxfubarxx » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:54 pm

I did a beer can chicken today with Goya Adobo with pepper, Miss Dash, and pepper. I smoked it with pecan and hickory. Came out pretty good. I'll post up some pics a little later.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:00 pm

Sounds great, waiting patiently for the pix 8) :D
Deputy Dave

copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:34 am

antaean7 wrote:If you can not taste the Mustard, then why use it? It sounds like it would leave a good flavor.When I cook, I use Olive oil to hold the rub on, I feel like it holds in moisture and/or adds to it. Either way it turns out really good.

Well, for one thing, mustard is a heck of alot cheaper than evoo! :lol:
I'll bet a horseradish mustard would be good too.
A couple of weeks ago, I did some wings with a teriyaki glaze, that I put together with some chinese hot sauce. They had a bite without being overpowering. I love the international aisle at Meijer!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:47 am

I would guess that flavored mustard would leave some taste. :D But one of the main reasons for using mustard is it sets up and doesn't turn to a liquid and run off. Oil thins as it heats and has a tendency to run off the meat as some of the liquid is cooked out of the meat and takes some of the spices with it and when misting the spices won't run off as easily on longer cooks in the smoker 2--3 hours or longer, as opposed to no misting and 20 - 30 min high temp cooks on a grill. :D :D
Jim
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:11 am

DATsBBQ wrote:

:tup: :drumnana: :blues: :tup:

Slathers aren't designed to leave a flavor. I HATE mustard but use it regularly on un-injected meats to allow the rub to adhere to the meat, plus it helps make a good crust and I CANNOT taste the mustard.

Why use Olive Oil if you can't taste it?? Same idea, it's not for taste, it works as a glue. Some people prefer NOT to use Mustard, others do.

Mustard slathers are commonly used amongst many comp Q'rs and so called "Pro" Q'rs. Everyone has their method of keeping rubs on their meat, it just so happens that one of the MOST common is mustard. Who wants mustard flavored ribs? Not me, it's for holding the rub, not the taste.
Last edited by SteerCrazy on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:13 am

copkid wrote:

Well, for one thing, mustard is a heck of alot cheaper than evoo! :lol:
I'll bet a horseradish mustard would be good too.
A couple of weeks ago, I did some wings with a teriyaki glaze, that I put together with some chinese hot sauce. They had a bite without being overpowering. I love the international aisle at Meijer!
Laura

exactly.........
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:52 am

Great comments, you guys have a point. Oil would break down and slide off, as Mustard would hold to the meat. i will try the mustard deal SUNDAYYYYYY. PLus, it is cheaper. Leave money for an adult beverage of choice.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”