tips on smoking Fajita's?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

tips on smoking Fajita's?

Postby antaean7 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:58 am

can anyone give me some tips and or pointers on smoking Fajita's? I have never cooked Fajita's before. Thinking about trying this Sunday. I prefer beef Fajita's
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:21 am

ant7,

I normally do not smoke my fajitas - I’m sure someone will pipe in on that.

But as for Fajitas - I cook mine hot and fast on the grill. I use 1 part Italian Dressing to 1 part teriyaki sauce and marinate the meat, cook directly over high heat on the grill. I usually throw on some wood chunks for smoke.

I cook the veggie "fixins" in a separate marinade in a big cast iron skillet and cook it on the grill at high temps too. I slice up onions and bell peppers, put in the skillet + top with EVOO + Lime juice + salt
+ pepper and sometimes garlic. Just let 'em cook down a bit while you are grilling the meat. I like my fixins a little brown and sizzlin hot.

My 2 cents on fajitas is that unless you serve the tortillas hot - you are missing out. I use my griddle to heat up the tortillas and plop on a little butter on the griddle for good measure.

Hope this helps and remember to take pics! 8)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:56 pm

That sounds really good. How do you measure the time you grill the Fajita's? Is it a per pound time, or time it looks good and ready? I was reading a Recipe in "Smoke & Spice" They are calling it"Bona Fide Fajitas" looks pretty good. But I will have to try it, after I try yours that sounds really really good Gator. This will be my first attempt with Fajitas.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:15 pm

According to my fajita advisor Joe Tapia..aka bbqlover...best strategy is to make sure the skirt steak has been mechanically tenderized. Either have the butcher do it for you or do it yourself. Repeatedly whacking across the grain with the sharp edge of an Old Hickory butcher knife tenderizes stuff purty good. Also be sure and cut off all the silver skin. That should work. Cant imagine they need more than a few mins per side over a real hot fire. Joe uses mesquite flavor Kingsford.

bigwheel
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:10 pm

Amen on the tenderizing part BW, ditto on a few minutes per side, less cooking is better than more. They cook fast.
Gator

antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:20 pm

then I guess we talking about the same time as a steak? I am kinda shocked by that, but I guess I should not since I have never cooked fajita's before.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:38 pm

yes, or less depending on how thick you like your steaks. The skirt steak I use for fajitas is thin compared to the steaks I cook.
Gator

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:48 pm

High heat is how I do fajitas!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:04 pm

Even though my fajitas are smokin, I don't smoke em... :lol:

I use John Soules marinated beef and chicken meat. Here is a link. http://johnsoulesfoods.com/supermarkets.html They have precooked, but I don't use that.

I cook it hot. I don't cook as long as steaks because the fajita meat isn't near as thick as the steaks that I buy. The chicken will probably take longer to cook than the beef.

As Gator said, heat the tortillas! Make some pico de gallo to go with them as well as a couple of grilled onions!

Good luck and don't forget the pics!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:03 am

I do mine like Gator, except I use a different marinade. :D Like BW said make sure the meat is tenderized. :D Cook it hot and fast. And yes, hot Tortillas are the best way to go. :D :D

Chuck, those meats sound interesting, I'll have to see if any of the stores around here carry them. :D Maybe have to give them a try. :D
Jim
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:13 pm

Jim, I tried marinating skirt steaks, but I just never could get it even close to the way I like them.

I found the John Soules at Sams and tried it and never went back... I know that Brookshires (I think they are regional though) and I think that Albertsons carries John Soules as well.

I'm not saying that it's the best, but for the amount of work and effort (opening the package), you can't beat it!

antaean7 - One thing that I forgot to mention and I haven't seen it mentioned is slice your beef across the grain. This way you won't be tugging on the fajita!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:17 pm

I saw AB toss the skirt steak directly on the coals. Flipped and removed to cutting board for slicing. Not sure if I've brave enough for that :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
J-Bar-H John

Smoke THEN Grill

Postby J-Bar-H John » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:17 pm

I marinate my fajitas using Ninfa's recipe: ¼ cup Pineapple juice,¼ cup Orange juice, ¼ cup White wine, ¼ cup Lemon juice, ¾ cup Water, ¾ cup Soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Pepper, 1 Clove garlic chopped. Leave in the marinade about 4 hours. ( I almost always marinade in gallon zip locks.) Smoke over oak for 2 hours at 200. Light up a HOT fire on the grill and hit the heat for about 2 minutes per side or until just charred and still medium rare on the inside. Wrap in foil and rest for 5 minutes) Slice on the bias and serve with all your favorite fajita fixins.
(Love Alton Brown, but throwing the meat directly on the coals seems nuts to me. I DO chunk sweet potatoes on the coals to rave reviews, though.)
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:26 am

J-bar-H john,

That recipe sounds pretty darn good. Gunna have to try that soon.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”