What type of knife to use?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

J-Bar-H John

Henckels Slicer is the only way to go

Postby J-Bar-H John » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:04 pm

Two things:
1) Make sure your knife is sharp. Accidents happen from dull knives. If you don't know how to sharpen one, get a good sharpener. Using a sharp knife is one of the great joys in life. (Rhyme not intended) If you have a properly sharpened knife, it's type is less relevant unless you are doing a lot of slicing. Learn how to use a steel in between each cutting job and sharpen once a month or every 6 uses.
2) Use a slicer for your briskets, fajitas, sausage, etc (use a boning knife or shears for poultry) These knives have hollows ground out of the blade to reduce drage and are usually longer than your average chef's knife. You can get through a lit of meat in a short period. I don't think the brand of knife is as important as the type unless you do a lot of cutting.

If I could figure out how to get a picture in here I would.

Good luck.[/url]
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:13 pm

Welcome aboard, John!

My knives of choice are the Dexter Russell Sani-Safe and Sani-Sation lines. The handles' size and shape fit my hand pretty well, the handles are completely dishwasher safe, and they're designed for restarant use, so they're durable, too. Right now I have a 12" scalloped slicer and a 3-pack of paring knives. My other knives are total POSs and will be gradually replaced as time and budget allows. Next knife purchase'll be a Sani-Sations 7" Santoku. :twisted:

Here's a link to a source: http://www.restaurantsource.net/vendor. ... WAodiGOQ1Q
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
scotty da q USER_AVATAR
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy

Postby Scotty Da Q » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:24 pm

Gratons/Cimeters are good fer cutting taters too. :lol:
Regards,
Scotty
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:33 pm

My first view of a cimeter was watchin' a guy slice a flat with one. One stroke and perfect slices. I thought, "Now *that's* what I call the right tool for the job!" :D
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:22 pm

I heard of folks doing stuff like that with a cimitar. Just never could get it to work like that. Must take a little practice.

bigwheel

TX Sandman wrote:My first view of a cimeter was watchin' a guy slice a flat with one. One stroke and perfect slices. I thought, "Now *that's* what I call the right tool for the job!" :D

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”