Select vs. Choice brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

southern pride bbq USER_AVATAR
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Re: Select vs. Choice brisket

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Ive cooked both choice and select and really cant tell the difference between the two ??? I use select in comps most of the time and have seemed to be doing pretty good for me without the extra expense of choice or prime.......
Southern Pride BBQ Cooking Team, Waco TX

IF you can't Barbeque with the big dogs, stay on the Porch !!!

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
queʹa syde USER_AVATAR
Que'a Syde
Cowboy

Postby Que'a Syde » Thu May 26, 2011 2:21 pm

I dont like Wal-Mart Briskets..It seems that all the ones i ever see there are brown in spots and it just makes me wanna gag..I goto a local mom and pop grocery store here and they also own a cattle ranch thats in town. so they always have good cuts and no brown spots..I have yet to get a bad brisket and the 2 im smokin right now are good..An they are always choice or select..I have yet to come across Prime..
East Texas Smoker RK250/Autism edition
Fat Ash Drum Smoker
KCBS Memeber #60187
KCBS Certified Judge #60187
MBN Member #T110238
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Fri May 27, 2011 1:11 pm

I try to get Choice when possible. It is harder for me to find lately. I was lucky enough to snag a couple choice ones at $1.49/lb for our annual neighborhood BBQ and crawfish boil. Sam's has pretty much only carried select for $1.99. Randall's usually has Select, but will label it with their "Rancher's Reserve" branding. HEB usually has select as well. Like previously mentioned, they will stick the occasional choice in there. I have the best luck at Kroger. I've even seen Angus packers for the same price as choice or select. I guess it just depends on what was unloaded from the truck.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Fri May 27, 2011 1:13 pm

If you have a sams they usually have some type of choice briskets, may be in the form of a flat however.
"Sic 'em Bears"
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:08 pm

I've had better luck with Choice but don't really care to pay the extra money so they are usually found sprinkled in among the Selects. This week I found IBP Choice packers at (local) Wal-mart for $1.77 per pound and they were great looking - fat cap was a little thin but the flat was nice and thick throughout. Loaded up five of them for future cooks.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
niget2002
Rustler

Postby niget2002 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:28 am

Finally had a chance to do a straight up comare for myself a few months ago.

Brisket 1 was a cheapie from Kroger.
Brisket 2 was a choice angus from Sam's.

I seasoned both the same the night before. Both cooked on the pit side by side and were rotated half way through the cook. Pit stayed between 250 and 300.

I was surprised to find that there really was a difference in texture and moistness between the two. Flavor wise, I couldn't tell a difference. The one from Sam's came out juicier.

When I served the meat, I cut the Kroger meat first and put it on the bottom of the other. It doesn't really matter as all of the meat was gone by the time the party was over, and no one complained about it.

Was it worth the little extra money for the Sam's? Probably not, but for my personal satisfaction, that's what I'll keep buying.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:27 am

I dont mind buying select when catering, but for comp its choice or prime only .......
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”