Brisket flat/point done at the same time?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:55 pm

After reading the article in TX monthly it got me wondering. How do you cook a packer so that the point is done without overcooking the flat??

When I cook a packer and the flat is done, the point still has a lot of connective fat that still could use some rendering.

I know I can seperate the point and flat and put the point back on, but surely there's some trick to getting it done all at once.

Thanks.
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
fullofbull USER_AVATAR
Fullofbull
Rustler

Postby Fullofbull » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:24 pm

I cut the point off when I'm cooking mine. All I want is the flat but that's for Texas comps. I always vac seal the point and either grind it for ground meat or will cook it separately for burnt ends.
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Re: Brisket flat/point done at the same time?

Postby Grillatarian » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

I prefer to do what you said, cook it all at once but test/temp in flat for doneness, pull and then cut point, return for more time and rendering.

On smaller packers (11brs) the point is not so pronounced so I just let it ride until is all gets tender. For really big briskato with thick points I prefer do as stated above.

I don't know if you could just pre-cut and cook it all at the same time... haven't tried it...yet!
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Postby Woody Wood » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:12 am

The point normally is done way before the flat on mine.
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits

3 Woody's BBQ
austinknight USER_AVATAR
AustinKnight
Pilgrim

Postby AustinKnight » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:05 pm

I cook at 300-350 there isn't a issue with point and flat being done at different times. There is a small window when a brisket is perfect and falling apart overdone I believe that temp is 205-208 I have never had a brisket when pulled at 185-200 and it be tender they are always tough and chewy. I believe Mueller and Franklin cook at hotter temps then they are letting everyone know there temperature thermometer might say 275 but they are really cooking at 300-350 in order to get there briskets done and rested to serve at 11 am.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:44 pm

In the article they say they cool 18 hours
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Joe
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Good way to tell what they are doing is to just drive by the place late night and see if the pits are up and running for a low and slow. If they aren't running they're probably not being completely honest about their long cook times. By the way to answer your question our point is done before the flat, but I don't mind letting it cook longer to render more of the fat that comes with that portion of the brisket.
"Sic 'em Bears"
austinknight USER_AVATAR
AustinKnight
Pilgrim

Postby AustinKnight » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:49 pm

atcNick wrote:In the article they say they cool 18 hours

There is a old saying it goes something like this ...don't believe everything you read I have read just about ever article on each of these guys I can possible find tasted there meats and they are telling you what you want to hear. Let me ask you this if you knew how to cook a brisket in 6 hours and rest it for 4 and it came out being the most moist piece of meat you ever put in your mouth, with a nice smoke ring and nice bark would you really tell :texas: everything... or would you keep that little secret to yourself and just let the people flock to you and make a nice living off something that you figured out and really love to do?
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:32 pm

Good point AK

-Nick
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Joe
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:13 am

AustinKnight wrote:

There is a old saying it goes something like this ...don't believe everything you read I have read just about ever article on each of these guys I can possible find tasted there meats and they are telling you what you want to hear. Let me ask you this if you knew how to cook a brisket in 6 hours and rest it for 4 and it came out being the most moist piece of meat you ever put in your mouth, with a nice smoke ring and nice bark would you really tell :texas: everything... or would you keep that little secret to yourself and just let the people flock to you and make a nice living off something that you figured out and really love to do?

I reckon that would be a serious conflict of interest for a someone selling it out the door.

Truth is, I have yet to to find a public joint that can beat backyard smoked brisket/ribs/pork butts. My wife fusses at me if I even suggest stopping it and trying out a Q joint. "Why? I just don't understand why? It is always better at home, why don't you just do one at home?' :wink:

I've learned a lot from forums like this and from other backyard afficionados who enjoy cooking and sharing their experiences. I don't consider myself a special snowflake or keep any secrets. Part of the joy of the bbq experience are the endless variations in tastes and techniques. I both seek and share them as much as possible.
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
austinknight USER_AVATAR
AustinKnight
Pilgrim

Re: Re: Brisket flat/point done at the same time?

Postby AustinKnight » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:47 am

Grillatarian wrote:
AustinKnight wrote:

I reckon that would be a serious conflict of interest for a someone selling it out the door.

Truth is, I have yet to to find a public joint that can beat backyard smoked brisket/ribs/pork butts. My wife fusses at me if I even suggest stopping it and trying out a Q joint. "Why? I just don't understand why? It is always better at home, why don't you just do one at home?' :wink:

I've learned a lot from forums like this and from other backyard afficionados who enjoy cooking and sharing their experiences. I don't consider myself a special snowflake or keep any secrets. Part of the joy of the bbq experience are the endless variations in tastes and techniques. I both seek and share them as much as possible.

There is no honor system when it comes to bbq, your lucky to find people that share tricks but some do also thats what practice is for ;). I to have learned a lot from forums, reading, and a lot of practice practice practice these two bbq businesses are backyard bbq at its finest, when it comes to brisket ones father achieved a James Beard award the other is said to have the best brisket in America they are backyard gone mainstream. Brisket is a loved meat in Texas and a hard meat to figure out, I do believe in sharing what I've learned with others because I believe I can some how help. I'm in no way a Yoda of snowflakes but I've cooked close to 50 briskets about 4 a month with different tricks since May of last year with great success and to what I think I have a chance at building a flock and making a nice living off something I figured out and truly love to do. When I hit 100 I'll be working on going mainstream.
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:06 am

I've heard the rise of the holding ovens is happening at more and more places, but unless you do personal inspections, it is hard to see if they are using them for an hour or two, or 8-12hrs. Here is part of an article that was posted over on Scrumptious Chef:

"The rise of the Alto Shaam. You can make a reputation quick for top quality brisket if you're willing to dance with the devil. We've seen the Alto Shaam in use in the past year in Texas barbecue joints from Austin to Lubbock and back and it's a great way to make a brisket as tender as butter. We spoke with one old-school pit boss who refused to be quoted by name but said "he ain't nothing but a carny" when speaking of a Central Texas barbecue pit boss who Alto Shaams his briskets and ribs to general acclaim.

What is an Alto Shaam?

Since 1955 this company has been making some very fine, warm-holding cabinets [hot boxes if you will] and in recent years they've moved into making all sorts of fancy cookers. You can take a brisket, put it on the pit for two hours, get it nice and smoky then put it in the Alto Shaam, dial it up to 166 degrees and go home to the old lady instead of carefully tending your fire all night long
"
meat USER_AVATAR
MEAT
Rustler

Postby MEAT » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:28 pm

We did get off topic a bit here but there is an art to smoking a good brisket.
Obviously it takes practice, good technique/rub, patients and more practice.
And there are those that cheat their way around smoking a brisket.
(good luck with Saint Peter at the Pearly Gates)

But Grillatarian makes a good point:
Part of the joy of the bbq experience are the endless variations in tastes and techniques. I both seek and share them as much as possible.
20"x30" custom made pit/smoker by JJ
deano USER_AVATAR
Deano
Rustler

Postby Deano » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:08 am

Woody Wood wrote:The point normally is done way before the flat on mine.

Same here Woody! Must be the way our Reunions cook. :wink:
Chris - Head Cook

Deano's Smokin Bones BBQ Team

Our Ribs R Suckin Good!

http://www.deanosbbq.com

http://www.facebook.com/SmokinBonesBBQ
wbbq USER_AVATAR
WBBQ
Bandolero

Postby WBBQ » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:23 pm

Franklin's is known for their perfectly cooked brisket. The ability to perfectly render out the fat. In an article that I read Aaron Franklin contributes this to using all natural brisket (I believe he uses Meyer Natural Angus out of Montana) . He stated that the briskets that were pumped with hormones and etc. did not render as well, there was chewing fat left behind. Also, he stated that his briskets came out better when he cooked them longer than what he used to think it should take (remembering that he started working for John Mueller who cooks at high temps. He also wraps his briskets in brown butcher paper sometime during the cook, I have heard a few things, halfway through the cook and 8pm (not knowing what time he puts them on?) He cooks "up to 18 hrs" at around 265 degrees. I am guessing that the larger briskets take 18 hrs? or that the actually grate temp is lower than the thermometer on his smoker?

Here is some videos and articles that you can get bits and pieces of Aarons techniques. I know this post is about the point and flat finishing cooking at the same time but Aaron seems to have it down so if you can get close to his style of cooking maybe you can achieve what you are looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrqd-7exGWY
http://www.chow.com/food-news/73232/the-art-of-texas-brisket/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0oL9fjiS1k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAfNTdAPRNY
http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2010/09/franklin-barbecue.html
http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2011/09/franklin-barbecue-vs-snows-bbq.html
http://texasbbqposse.blogspot.com/2010/12/butcher-paper-wrapped-brisket-posse.html?z#!/2010/12/butcher-paper-wrapped-brisket-posse.html
http://texasbbqposse.blogspot.com/2010/11/franklin-barbecue-is-this-best-brisket.html#!/2010/11/franklin-barbecue-is-this-best-brisket.html
http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2011/11/jmueller-bbq.html

I hope this helps, if anything else, these videos should make your mouth water :D

Weldon
Weldon

Lone Star Grillz Large Cabinet Smoker
Old Country Pecos Smoker
Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron Pellet Smoker
Monolith BBQ Guru Edition Kamado Smoker
Sunterra 36" Santa Maria Grill
Weber Gas Grill

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”