Brisket flat/point done at the same time?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: Brisket flat/point done at the same time?

Postby 3 star redneck » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:30 pm

I don't believe but a very small part of this article,....first of all we all know that at 265*...for 16-18 hrs...any brisket is going to be burned up.....and he's never gonna tell anybody th real truth about his bbq.....I agree Yes its good,but not th best in th US.....lol....you just have to take it for good reading........

And to stay on topic....when I cook packers my point is always done first, cause th fat mailing is a higher %.....common sense....
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
wbbq USER_AVATAR
WBBQ
Bandolero

Postby WBBQ » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:52 pm

3 star redneck wrote:I don't believe but a very small part of this article,....first of all we all know that at 265*...for 16-18 hrs...any brisket is going to be burned up.....and he's never gonna tell anybody th real truth about his bbq.....I agree Yes its good,but not th best in th US.....lol....you just have to take it for good reading........

And to stay on topic....when I cook packers my point is always done first, cause th fat mailing is a higher %.....common sense....

I agree, I think 265 for 18 hrs seems too long, that is why I mentioned that the grate temp is probably lower than the Thermometer is reading (as in most cases) or like you you said, he is not being straight.

Also, my points are usually done first as well, as you stated, but sometimes there seems to be an excess amount of fat, the meat is tender but a little too fatty. But, this could just be my taste?

I have never eaten at Franklin's, just reading reviews and watching videos, but looking at his briskets being sliced they seem to be cooked perfectly, as far as taste or being the best in the US, dunno?

Weldon
Weldon

Lone Star Grillz Large Cabinet Smoker
Old Country Pecos Smoker
Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron Pellet Smoker
Monolith BBQ Guru Edition Kamado Smoker
Sunterra 36" Santa Maria Grill
Weber Gas Grill
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:42 pm

3 star redneck wrote:And to stay on topic....when I cook packers my point is always done first, cause th fat mailing is a higher %.....common sense....

To add to Jeff's point...Because of the fact the flat has less fat content than the point it is more dense, taking it longer to come up to temp.

This is the reason you check temp in the thickest part of the flat and not the point. It would stand to reason if it's done there it will be done everywhere else.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:00 pm

WBBQ wrote:
3 star redneck wrote:
Also, my points are usually done first as well, as you stated, but sometimes there seems to be an excess amount of fat, the meat is tender but a little too fatty. But, this could just be my taste?

This is what I'm talking about too. It's tender but to me the fat hasnt rendered enough and is a little chewy.
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD247K8KltY

In this video, Franklin claims he cooks his briskets at 320. 18 hours? no way!
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
El Ropo
Rustler

Postby El Ropo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:52 pm

Most people who cook brisket for backyard BBQ will cook it till the flat is "done" separate the point from the flat, wrap flat in foil and toss in cooler for an extended rest. While the flat is resting, they cube up the point, toss it in a foil pan heavily sprinkle with rub and sauce, toss around to mix, and put back on smoker for a couple hours to crisp up and render more fat out of the point. It's called burnt ends.

Franklin BBQ can get away with cooking both because they don't wrap their briskets in foil, but they wrap them in butcher paper and let rest in the cooker while it's cooling down. The Meyer natural brisket doesn't hurt at all, but it's they way they wrap in the paper and let it slowly cool down inside the cooker that makes it.

Similar to the weeping ribs method by pitmaster T where he waits for the pig honey to surface on the ribs, then shuts down his pit for a while to allow the honey to soak back into the meat. He never foils his ribs at all, but they turn out amazing.
Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. Weber SJS. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
wampum1
Pilgrim

Postby wampum1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:33 am

On my briskets, the flats usually cook faster so I simply put the point closer to the heat source/ hotter part of the smoker. Since I lack the touch/feel I use two thermometers one in the point one in the flat. In the 180's if the point doesn't start rising higher than the flat I will shift it around. Everyone has their preferred temperature or feel but I pull my briskets out when either the flat hits 194 max or point hits 214 max. I am fine with either being lower temp but not higher. Good luck, I have been thinking about smoking the point and flat separate just for more bark!
https://t.me/pump_upp
arnietex USER_AVATAR
ArnieTex
Pilgrim

Postby ArnieTex » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:02 pm

Woody Wood wrote:The point normally is done way before the flat on mine.

This ^^^ has always been my experience also and many different bbq pits and smokers.
ArnieTex.com
Smokin' Lonestar bbq team
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnxOJ_ ... YqbPRAfLNw
Instagram
Twitter

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”