Sauce question

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

How do you like your pulled pork sauced?

Tomato
25%
Vinager
15%
Mustard
5%
Au naturale
50%
What's a pig?
5%

Total votes: 20
Tom In CTown
Pilgrim

Postby Tom In CTown » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:40 pm

Generally, the family does not like the vinegar stuff. I like it on occasion, but I go without any sauce. My pulled pork has enough smokey flavor that sauce is almost a detractor.
Here's hoping everything you do hits the BULLSEYE!

Tom Hornikel
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:59 am

So far it seems like people like it plain with no sauce. I've asked the same question on another board and I'm getting basically the same response.

However, I am a little disappointed. According to the main page we have 193 members and only 17 responded :cry: . I know most of the members are from Texas but surely they've tried pulled pork at least once in their life. Thats why I included the "whats a pig" answer for those that haven't.

Hey guys & girls, don't lurk. Add your .025 cents (after taxes)!
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:26 am

Don't be shy, BFD. Tell us what you really think. :wink:
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:41 am

:roll: Umm.. Was I a bit too loud? :oops: Sorry.

It seems like on all the boards I visit they have a lot of members but only a few ever give their opinions or ideas. One board has over 1,200 members but its the same 2 dozen people that post messages, recipes, ideas and pictures.

The Texas BBQ Forum is a nice place. More diverse members should post their ideas and opinions. Just because I do my brisket different from yours doesn't make your way, or my way, wrong. Sometimes different is good but we may never hear about it because lurkers never post or offer opinions! At least thats what I'm think I'm trying to say.

Sorry, I didn't want to rant.

(Sandman, was that good enogh?)

."

Da Dude's new blog
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:56 am

Relax, bro. I was pullin' your chain a little. Never said I didn't agree with you.

One board I'm on has almost 6000 members. I'm the #11 poster in just over a year. 3500 haven't posted at all and another 1500 have less than 10 posts. Kinda depressing to think about all those folks too shy or afraid to post.

And to talk about sauces, I hope to do another picnic in a couple weeks. Next round I'm gonna try that mustard sauce Laura raves about.
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:24 am

I'm working on that sauce as I type. I'm also putting together a few other just to test.

I'm not making any pork. I just pulled some out of the freezer and heating it up.

I'll be cooking some spare ribs as soon as the WSM warms up. Right now they are becomming very well aquainted with the rub. I used Wolf Rub Bold a while back and they turned out pretty good. I'm going to try it again, this time with a sauce instead of a glaze.

."

Da Dude's new blog
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:11 pm

Sauce on the side. I make a vinegar based sauced with a lot of heat in it.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:20 pm

Burnt Food Dude wrote::roll: Umm.. Was I a bit too loud? :oops: Sorry.

It seems like on all the boards I visit they have a lot of members but only a few ever give their opinions or ideas. One board has over 1,200 members but its the same 2 dozen people that post messages, recipes, ideas and pictures.

The Texas BBQ Forum is a nice place. More diverse members should post their ideas and opinions. Just because I do my brisket different from yours doesn't make your way, or my way, wrong. Sometimes different is good but we may never hear about it because lurkers never post or offer opinions! At least thats what I'm think I'm trying to say.

Sorry, I didn't want to rant.

(Sandman, was that good enough?)

I agree, this is a nice a place. Some boards, aint naming names or pointing fingers, don't have the stuff in-place to prevent automated registrations. We were gatorfied early on.

Some folks never come out of the tall grass. Maybe they're protecting their secrets? Maybe its because they're afraid how they do Q isn't in the "main stream". Don't think we got a main stream here, but we do have many little streams :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”