A few rib questions

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

A few rib questions

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:13 am

I know this is awful late to be asking this, but I bought some ribs and plan to put them on an about 2 hours. As I'm sure that most of you know, I do much more grilling than smoking.

Got a few rib questions.

Concerning the mustard slather that I keep hearing about, should I put this on right before I put the meat on the smoker or ahead of time? I bought some Dijon Mustard. Just put it on straight or mix it with anything?

I am doing beef & pork ribs. I was planning on apple wood. Will that taste ok with the beef or should I just go with the Texas standard, mesquite?

Beef ribs will take a little longer than pork, right? So I should put the beef ribs on an hour or so before the pork?

One more question...

I am going to spritz with apple juice. Do I just wait until they start to look dry and then lightly spray with the apple juice? That be ok on the beef ribs?

Thanks!!!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Re: A few rib questions

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:39 am

Concerning the mustard slather that I keep hearing about, should I put this on right before I put the meat on the smoker or ahead of time? I bought some Dijon Mustard. Just put it on straight or mix it with anything?

When I use mustard I apply a thin coat then add my rub. Leave it set for 10 maybe 15 minutes then put it in the smoker. For a while I was groovin' on chipotle flavored mustard

I am doing beef & pork ribs. I was planning on apple wood. Will that taste ok with the beef or should I just go with the Texas standard, mesquite?

Pork ribs I like a blend of apple, cherry and hickory. It seems like apple & hickory give it a good flavor and cherry gives it a nice color. Beef I like oak maybe with a bit of mesquite mixed in. I try to get Jack Daniels chunks when I can. You just can't beat the smell.

Beef ribs will take a little longer than pork, right? So I should put the beef ribs on an hour or so before the pork?

Depends on the size & weight - spares, loins or baby backs on the pork ribs. Yes I would put on the beef ribs 2 to 2 hours before the loin or baby backs. Probably the same time as the spares depending on weight.

One more question...

I am going to spritz with apple juice. Do I just wait until they start to look dry and then lightly spray with the apple juice? That be ok on the beef ribs?

Never tried apple juice on beef ribs. Usually some beef broth mixed with a little JD. Wait until the rub has set. Maybe an hour or two. Then I usually spritz every 45 to an hour. If your looking to see if they're dry then you're letting the heat out and you aren't cooking.

NOTE: I mentioned loin back and baby back ribs. I use the definition of loin backs as American back ribs (usually bigger but smaller than spare ribs). Baby backs refer to Danish imports wich usually are smaller and has less meat than American loin backs. I don't think every one uses the same defination.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:09 pm

Baby backs, by my definition, are pork back ribs that weigh less 1.5# per rack. Easy to over cook.

Apple juice has a lot of natural sugars. Some times I'll spritz beef with a 60-40 mixture of Apple Cider - Apple Cider Vinegar.

Beef ribs, depending how much trimming was done to 'em, will take longer. I've found that the sneaky Albertson's ribs that are always $.99/# are super trimmed but usually take a 6 hours, vs the St. Louis (the good part of a full spare) take me about 5 hours.

If you're concerned about drying 'em out, you can foil the pork ribs at 2 - 3 hours, continue to cook for 1 - 1.5 hours, remove the foil and smoke till done. I've never foiled beef ribs, they're pretty hardy by themselves.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:00 pm

Thanks guys...

As for the ribs drying out, that is a concern that my wife has. Maybe I will try to foil them.

I got the ribs at Albertsons. I got John Morell (sp) country pork ribs and I am not sure what the cut on the beef ribs are. I remember the "butcher" said that they contain a little of the rib eye in them.

I already have the beef ribs on. I just rubbed a thin coating of Dijon Mustard all over them then used Fiesta Rib rub. I let them sit about 20-30 minutes then threw them on the smoker.

I will wait about 2 hours then plan on doing the same with the pork ribs except I will be using some Sucklebusters on them instead of the Fiesta!
Chuck

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:08 pm

nascarchuck wrote:Thanks guys...

As for the ribs drying out, that is a concern that my wife has. Maybe I will try to foil them.

I got the ribs at Albertsons. I got John Morell (sp) country pork ribs and I am not sure what the cut on the beef ribs are. I remember the "butcher" said that they contain a little of the rib eye in them.

I already have the beef ribs on. I just rubbed a thin coating of Dijon Mustard all over them then used Fiesta Rib rub. I let them sit about 20-30 minutes then threw them on the smoker.

I will wait about 2 hours then plan on doing the same with the pork ribs except I will be using some Sucklebusters on them instead of the Fiesta!

Do you mean "country-style pork ribs"? If so, they not really ribs but rather a cut up shoulder (like you'd make PP with). Lots of fat in 'em, so drying out shouldn't be a concern :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:42 pm

yeah,country style... Does the apple jiuce add flavor or is that mainly to keep them moist?
Chuck

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:11 pm

I little of both. They'll take less time than beef ribs.
Deputy Dave

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:31 pm

OK... Got em smoked. Turned out pretty good. Still need to learn more about smoking, but my wife gave the stamp of approval!

Have plenty of leftovers for dinner tomorrow night at work too!

Is it safe to say that 1/2 rack per person?
Chuck

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:14 pm

nascarchuck wrote:I will wait about 2 hours then plan on doing the same with the pork ribs except I will be using some Sucklebusters on them instead of the Fiesta!

Cant geaux wrong there! Thanks Chuck...Gator lurve reeebs! :lol: 8)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:38 pm

nascarchuck wrote:Is it safe to say that 1/2 rack per person?

Yeah. I've been told a rack feeds 2-3 people, so plan on a rack for 2 and you're good. Especially if there's other food around.

Gator wrote:Cant geaux wrong there! Thanks Chuck...Gator lurve reeebs! :lol: 8)

How's this, Gator? Had 4 racks of back ribs on the kettle today. Plenty to share, and I even used some o' that Hog Waller stuff on a couple of 'em. Delicious!

(Sorry, can't show more than this. Throwdown, ya know.)
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
TL Parnell
Wrangler

Yo Chuckmeister!!

Postby TL Parnell » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:31 pm

nascarchuck wrote:yeah,country style... Does the apple jiuce add flavor or is that mainly to keep them moist?
If you'll email me, I'll fill ya in on some BBQ'ing tricks!
God loves you & so do I, in the precious name of Jesus

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”