Pit temp fluctuating

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bcovish
Pilgrim

Pit temp fluctuating

Postby Bcovish » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:21 am

I have a stick burner. What is acceptable for temp changes? I like to cook at 275 so when would you start adjusting your vents when temps drop or rise?
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Re: Pit temp fluctuating

Postby CaptJack » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:00 am

one thing you could do is to add a pitmasterIQ temp controller
they have adapters that fit intakes on stick burners

http://pitmasteriq.com/
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:48 am

I let mine swing +/- 25 I like to cook at 300 so I add a preheated split at 275, it will run up to 325 ish once I have my intake set I rarely touch it. I will run it WFO until the pit gets to 325 then I closed it about 1/2. No two are alike so just watch the exhaust if see smoke thicken up you went to far back off a little till it clears up take small bites. Your looking for the sweet spot where it will hold your temp burn clean. Then it is just matter of adding a split when the temp drops off. So for you that would be 250 ish
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:29 pm

I've seen people fight temps before they ever let the pit heat up. I let my offset heat for at least an hour before messing with it. As BluDawg says, expect a +/- 25 swing.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:50 am

My exhaust stays wide open, the only time my intake is used to adjust temps is if the wind changes or say from a cool morning to a hot day on a long cook.
+/- 20° is common on offsets when refueling, learning when to add a split to minimize fluctuation is important. I run my cooker between 240° and 260° that is her sweet spot. When my cooker gets to about 245° to 250° I am adding a split, normally she drops to about 240° or a little less then starts her climb back to around 260° or so. Dont fight it, find what works best for you as far as maintaining your coal base and keeping the cooker where she likes to run. :)
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:29 pm

I also used to preheat my stick burner with a torch to cut back on the fuel usage for getting it up to temp. Once preheated I'd give it about 30-45 mins to heat up and then start adjusting if need be. As KAM said, exhaust wide open.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:18 pm

Exhaust wide open all the time, I start mine with a chimney full of charcoal lump mix. I light the chimney and put the chimney in the firebox to preheat the pit, when it is completely lit I dump it in the forebox add a stick of wood and it is ready to roll, have to add a stick every 40 minutes or so. Keep the lid shut as much as possible- if your lookin you ain't a cookin.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”