Hot & Fast Method, any takers?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

I will try this

Poll ended at Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:01 pm

Yes, I'm enlighted and will try it.
50%
No, you must be on drugs!
10%
Maybe, I'll check which way the wind blows and decide later
40%

Total votes: 10
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Hot & Fast Method, any takers?

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:57 pm

There was some talk a while ago about the hot & fast Q method. Since there are many ways to hammer a nail, thought I'd search the net and came across this:

http://www.kickassbbq.com/Quick_Cook_Boston_Butt.htm

Anyone ever try this method? Definitely not low & slow, but shaving the cook time by over 50%, might with worth a shot.

Purist's will get on the :soap: I'm sure.

Still thinking about a lump fired convection infrared gizmo. Bet it would be a hit.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
smoked USER_AVATAR
Smoked
Cowboy

Postby Smoked » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:11 pm

I can see it being done in that amount of time.. As per his quote "This BBQ is as good as any I have ever smoked. Don't have 15 hours to smoke? Try this method. Same results!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I think the jury would still be out on that. Running that hot for that amount of time would just steam any of the moisture out of the first inch or so of the meat..
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:15 pm

Smoked wrote:I can see it being done in that amount of time.. As per his quote "This BBQ is as good as any I have ever smoked. Don't have 15 hours to smoke? Try this method. Same results!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I think the jury would still be out on that. Running that hot for that amount of time would just steam any of the moisture out of the first inch or so of the meat..

Well it was foiled after 3 hrs. Think that would seal in the juices especially if the pan has some kind of liquid in it.

Mr Klose, while trying to sell me on a propane burner option, told me that after 2 -3 hours the meat has absorbed about as much smoke as it's going to. That the "pros" smoke for a couple hours then turn on the gas which allows for some sleep.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:08 pm

Yeah, I have tried a pork butt that way. Wasn't too bad, it was back wehn I had the Chargriller and had to fight to keep the high temps, but I am all for quick sometimes.

I would not be opposed to trying again either, have thought of trying a butt on the performer just cuz I know I can keep the heet I need.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:35 pm

I'm not convinced but really the only way to find out is to try it. I did a butt today and it took 10 hours and plateaued at 199* and refused to go higher. It turned out great but took a while.
My thinking is around the smoke flavor if ya run that hot you are not going to be doing a lot of smoke just heat. but foiling like that I believe it would get plenty tender.
I would be tempted to smoke it heavy for a couple hours then foil it and stick it in the oven. That may be heresy but if time is of essence.
I notice that Mike Mills uses Old Hickory pits like mine that are gas assisted for his restaurants. The way they work is you set the cooking temp and put a load of wood in the fire box and turn on the power. Gas burner will ignite and light the wood fire when the pit is up to temp the gas will shut off and a fan will stoke the fire controlling the temp like a guru until the wood burns out and temp drops then the gas will reignite and finish the cook (or reignite the wood if it just went out). No you cannot tell from tasting the Q that gas was ever involved.
tarde venientibus ossa....
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:05 pm

The first picnic I did was similar to this. I cooked it indirect at 325* for about 6.5 hrs for an 8.67 lb picnic, no foil, cooked to 195*. Came out pretty good, moist meat, pulled pretty easy. It actually seemed better than a 230* cook I did later, but that may have been the meat.

Now, for a brisket, I know better. I think, based on my experience, slow is the only way to go with that.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:54 pm

I've done pork butts both slow and fast. Butts are very forgiving, and can handle the temp changes, up or down, either way. Briskets may be another story. I've done chuck roasts slow and fast and seem to be forgiving as well, but really need to be foiled for moisture retention.
With 3 active kids, I really don't have the time for the 10-16 hour smokes!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:33 am

Shoot,I usually let my K5 decide what temp it wants to run at!
I've done butts at 350F before,no biggie.Works just fine.
LazyQ's Big Jim down in Florryduh seldom cooks Q at less than 300F.
China Box cookers run at about 300-326F (the twice I've ever seen 'em used)
Nothin' to fear from the higher heat and shorter cook times, but I tend to tweak 'er back down when the dome gets 300F or more.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:14 am

copkid wrote:I've done chuck roasts slow and fast and seem to be forgiving as well, but really need to be foiled for moisture retention.

I did a chuck roast this past weekend, along with a brisket. They were cooked at 275-300*, the brisket nekkid and the roast foiled at 160*.

The brisket was cooked to 185*, still had a little chew to it. The roast was another matter. I took it to 200*, shootin' for pulled beef. When I opened the foil, I coud literaly pour the juice out of the foil, but I could hardly cut the roast. I'll see if I can rescue it in my crockpot, but this cook showed me slow seems to work best for brisket and chuck roasts, at least in my kettle.
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
soezzy USER_AVATAR
SoEzzy
Wrangler

Postby SoEzzy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:35 am

I have tried it in a WSM with sand in the pan, I ran the bottom vents 1 x 100% open the other two 75% open, the temp ran 335 - 345, a 9lb butt to 197 F internal in 7 hours 24 minutes.

Cooked on a cooling rack in a pan to catch the drippings, it had a good smoke ring and it was as moist as can be, with a good dark bark.

I went with Turbinado sugar instead of brown sugar.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Check this out:
https://www.nuwaveoven.com/products.php
Wonder what the result would be if a guy put some wood chips inside an aluminum foil packet and put the packet down in the drip pan area? Probably want to do this experiment outdoors.
Deputy Dave

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:20 pm

Don't know Dats but for a comment on the technology we have a infrared toaster oven and I would recommend it highly. We only use it for reheating, toasting, frozen pizza or waffles etc. but it does it's job very well.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-G100 ... id=&sr=1-1
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:40 pm

Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:07 pm

Papa, The Panasonic has been discontinued :(

Bowhntr, that's a nifty gadget. Videos on the site were pretty good. The lid allows heat to escape so the foil packet might work. $150.00 ain't too bad. Christmas is coming... .
Deputy Dave

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:11 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Papa, The Panasonic has been discontinued :(

Bowhntr, that's a nifty gadget. Videos on the site were pretty good. The lid allows heat to escape so the foil packet might work. $150.00 ain't too bad. Christmas is coming... .

Ain't that the way it goes they make a good product and dump it. I bought it several years ago because Consumer Reports really liked it. It uses quartz rods for the heating elements.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”