Water pan placement for Turkey cook?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Water pan placement for Turkey cook?

Postby Chasdev » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:28 pm

Since I have to have something to worry about before I do a cook, I was wondering if you guys have a favorite water pan spot in an offset?
I was thinking of putting one near the firebox outlet and another under the bird..also, should it/they go on the cooking surface grid near the meat or under it on the tuning plates?
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Water pan placement for Turkey cook?

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:43 pm

I never put a pan of water in my offsets for the intended purpose of moisture. The only time I use a pan of water is if I am mimicking meat for temp markings. Added moisture is not needed in an offset, the cooking meat creates all the moisture you need.
When I cook turkeys I place them in a roasting pan and let them cook. I do this to catch the juices and smoke the giblets for gravy.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:51 am

Very interesting, I've been using water pans for years on everything, and while not water I am cooking the turkey with shiner bock and sweet onion slices in the pan.
I allow that since I'm trying not to burn the meat with run-away cooker temps any more the water pan may not be required for briskets and ribs.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:09 am

KAM's post brought a question up for me.

Does the quality of the pit play into whether or not to use a water pan? Does a higher quality pit (like the ones KAM builds) hold the moisture better?

I have always used a water pan as well. Currently cooking on an Old Country Pecos from Academy.
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:21 am

I was surprised awhile back when I watched all of the Aaron Franklin video's on youtube, that he said he always has a water pan in his smokers, and it showed him put one in by the firebox in his brisket video. I don't remember if it shows him doing it in his turkey video. I use a UDS and the only time I use a water pan is when I'm trying to keep the temp down,
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:36 am

My son-in-law runs a 20" x 42" OK Joe that I modified years ago with plates and a new exhaust. No water pan is used in it. Learning how to control temps in the cooker and knowing where to place meat for specific end results is part of learning the cooker. I have no idea why Franklin uses it in his cookers but if it works for him or anyone I say go for it. :D My original post is my opinion on the use of pans in a cooker I am not knocking the use but on the same note I know they are not needed in most cases. I know that the smaller Brinkmann cookers and such may benefit from it because of their size but a cooker in the 20" diam to 40" long area can easily be ran without them in my opinion. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:16 pm

good info KAM. I was curious about your thoughts from a pit builders perspective. Thanks!
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:52 pm

You'll get varying opinions on this one. But I think it depends on what your cooking, the size of your offset as well as the quantity of meat. A turkey is more lean and in my opinion would benefit in an offset smoker- at least that is the case in my offset as it is a 30"x72". That said if you have a full pit you don't need a water pan as the meat will create enough moisture.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:45 pm

Makes sense Fin. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
jerrykr USER_AVATAR
jerrykr
Pilgrim

Postby jerrykr » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:06 pm

My firebox extends into the cook chamber.
I set a pan of water on top of the firebox inside the chamber.
Doesn't seem to hurt anything....

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”