Quick advice: about ribs in a rack

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jim D
Pilgrim

Quick advice: about ribs in a rack

Postby jim D » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:31 pm

I am in the middle of doing three slabs in a rack that holds them on edge. I never used a rack before.

It is on a smoker with indirect heat - actually it is a ceramic egg with the deflector plate in place.

I want to know if I should turn them over during this cook, to get the other side of the slab pointing down toward the indirect heat source.

THANKS Folks!
Charcoal: Kamado Joe Classic (new on 12/25/2015), & Weber original kettle
Propane: Weber SS Genesis S-330 & Coleman Roadtrip for tailgates
~ ~ ~
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Quick advice: about ribs in a rack

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:43 pm

If you are going to wrap I would probably flip them half way through the open time. This will let both edges even up some.
I do not use racks but this is probably how I would do it.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:49 pm

JD, I'm not familiar with the deflector plate but I did 3 racks in a rib rack on my ECB for Christmas Day and "did not" flip them. They cooked uniform and were delicious according to the ?guest judges? :laughing7: :D :lol: I put the meatier side down for the entire cook and after 5 hours at 235 I double wrapped them in foil and put in an Ice Chest/Cooler to rest before slicing. However, it sure wouldn't hurt anything to flip them if you're not worried about loosing heat as I was. :dont:

Last edited by OldUsedParts on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:53 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:JD, I did 3 racks in a rib rack on my ECB for Christmas Day and "did not" flip them. They cooked uniform and were delicious according to the ?guest judges? :laughing7: :D :lol: I put the meatier side down for the entire cook and after 5 hours at 235 I double wrapped them in foil and put in an Ice Chest/Cooler to rest before slicing. However, it sure wouldn't hurt anything to flip them if you're not worried about loosing heat as I was. :dont:

And there you have it. :D :salut: :cheers:
Good looking bones. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:05 pm

thank you, Sir :bow: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
jim D
Pilgrim

Postby jim D » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:43 pm

Thank you all for commenting. I read this on my phone while outside, and took action, but did not post immediately.

As is often the case with this or any cooking method, I decided it was more or less a toss up. With that, I thought I'd try to flip one and see what happened. It turned out to be easy so I did them all.

I did not foil them for cooking but have foil over them to rest in a throw away aluminum pan. People will come over at 6:30 tonight. I was able to keep them at right at 260 deg F from 12:15PM to 4:45PM. For the last hour I felt thy had shrunk some, so I got them all out of the rack, to lay flat on the grill.

I cut one out of a rack and have judged them to be very good, indeed. Thanks everybody. It is easy to get nervous when you are doing something sort of new and a football/NYE crowd is headed your way!
Last edited by jim D on Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charcoal: Kamado Joe Classic (new on 12/25/2015), & Weber original kettle
Propane: Weber SS Genesis S-330 & Coleman Roadtrip for tailgates
~ ~ ~
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:47 pm

ooooo, a football NYE crowd can be dangerous if you mess with their snacks :laughing7: :D :lol:
however, it sounds like you made it all line up for the opening kick off :tup: :cheers:

pics???? hint hint hint :laughing7:

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”