Cooking Overnight/ Sleep

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Cooking Overnight/ Sleep

Postby egghead » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:33 pm

LOL - First time I heard it called a flower pot was here. I think from Papa Tom :laughing7:
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
Flacpac
Pilgrim

Postby Flacpac » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:48 am

I have an ASF 24" Offset Smoker. I had a 3/8 plate cut to replace firebox grill grate. I preload 6-8 split logs in the upper oven like compartment.

I start pit at 6PM.

Using 10 lbs of lump charcoal I get temp regulated to 225 in cooking chamber. While pre heating split oak logs.

Around 7pm I add 2 preheated logs to fire. Burn till smoke is clean.

Replace logs in top section.

Add Brisket or Pork Shoulder Around 8 pm. Damper is about 1/3 open. Cook till 10pm.

Load all preheated wood into firebox. Close damper all the way. Smoker will hold 225-275 for 8-10 hours.

I monitor the ambiant and food temp with a Webber Igrill 2. I set alarms on my iPad to wake me if anything goes out of those ranges.Or if food reaches desired doneness.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 am

I tried something similar and due to the air inlet being shut down the smoke produced was dark and stinky, which imparted a really bad taste to the meat.
The key to great tasting meat is that the fire burns clean with small flickering flames burning the whole time.
Coals produce heat to cook the meat, flames produce smoke to flavor the meat.
Hate to be the one to say it too many times but Franklin gives an excellent explanation on the science of smoking meat in a stickburner, how to build and maintain a fire is key to success.
mule rider USER_AVATAR
Mule rider
Rustler

Postby Mule rider » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:05 pm

I feel if you are going to invest in an expensive piece of meat why wouldn't you invest the time to smoke it right. When I do a catering job I have to stay up all night to make sure everything is good. On one cook it rained over an inch in one hour. Had a real problem keeping temps up. I never want to try to explain a bad cook to someone who's paying for a good meal. Like K.A.M. said sleep is over rated. If you are going to do it with a stick burner take the time to do it right. :P
Attachments
feb 2018 128.jpg
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Cooking Overnight/ Sleep

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:18 pm

i also had stick burner very similar experience refuel every hour to 1.5 hours until i hit below 60 and lower ambient temps then it was every 20-30 minutes refueling.

A cheap but maybe not so pretty solution is wrap it in water heater insulation. It Extended refuels for me to 2-3 hours depending on ambient temp

I also wrapped my pellet and it augered less..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:00 pm

I'm lazy and like my sleep.........

My Assassin is gravity feed with a fan controller - put the meat on, make sure it's stabilized, and get some sleep. It holds temp rock solid for hours, even in a blizzard. :D
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”